What non-curriculum books did you read as a kid?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2007, 11:01 pm

Here are the ones I remember:

The Nancy Drew Files-- Hit and Run Holiday
Superfudge
Help! I'm Trapped In The Library!
Otherwise Known As Sheila The Great
Partners in Grime
This Can't Be Happening At Macdonald Hall!
Macdonald Hall Goes To Hollywood
Parrot in the Oven
Holes
Pen Pals #1
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret
(Megan)
Killing Mr. Griffin
Darci In Cabin 13
Avalanche
Ida Early Comes Over The Mountain
I Want To Go Home!
Go Jump In The Pool
Absolutely Normal Chaos
Dicey's Song
Homecoming
When She Hollers
Bad Girls
Bad
Sixteen Can Be Sweet
A Semester In The Life of A Garbage Bag
Don't Care High
Stevie Diamond mysteries-- How Come The Best Clues Are Always In The Garbage?, How Can I Be A Detective If I Have To Baby-Sit?, Who's Got Gertie? And How Can We Get Her Back?, How Can A Frozen Detective Stay Hot On The Trail?, What's A Daring Detective Like Me Doing In The Doghouse?, How Can A Brilliant Detective Shine In The Dark?
Fourth Grade Is A Jinx!
two Sweet Valley Twins ones, one was about a girl who was a bully
The Library Card
Help! I'm Trapped In A Vampire's Body!
Even If It Kills Me
The Kid In The Red Jacket
Sixth Grade High
The Treehouse Times-- #7: Rats!, #1: Under 12 Not Allowed
Ten Kids, No Pets
Yours Turly, Shirley
The Golden Compass
The Book of Fred
Jeremy and the Air Pirates
After The War
A Ghost In The Window
Maniac Magee
The Giver
one fo the Fifth Grade Stars ones
Caught In A Lie
Always Friends Club-- #1 (forget what it was called, about Meg), #2 (Cricket Goes to the Dogs)
Camp Sunnyside Friends--#1 (No Boys Allowed!), #2 (Cabin Six Plays Cupid), #3 (Color War!), #4 (New Girl In Cabin Six), #8 (Too Many Counsellors)
Danger.com-- 3 of them, Dead Man's Hand, Stalker, one about Riley-- forget the title
Live From The Fifth Grade
Getting Even
Telling Christina Goodbye
Angels Watching Over Me
Lifted Up By Angels
Until Angels Close My Eyes
The Girl Death Left Behind
Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep
Sixteen And Dying
Let Him Live
Mother, Help Me Live
Six Months To Live
I Want To Live
So Much To Live For
No Time To Cry
Night
Somewhere Between Life and Death
Saving Jessica
All The Days Of Her Life
Round the Bend
Survival: Fire
Titanic: The Long Night
Looking At The Moon
The Sky Is Falling
Too Young To Die
Free Fall
Cheating Lessons
The Cripples Club
Girl Alone
Fire-Us #1
A Rose for Melinda
Babysitters Little Sister-- Karen's Secret, Karen's Sleepover, Karen, Hannie and Nancy-- The Three Muskateers
The Fabulous Five #1 (Seventh Grade Rumors), #2 (The Trouble With Flirting), #3 (The Popularity Trap), #4 (Her Honor, Katie Shannon), #5 (The Bragging War), #7 (The Kissing Disaster), #8 (The Runaway Crisis), #9 (The Boyfriend Dilemma), #10 (Playing the Part), #11 (Hit and Run), #12 (Katie's Dating Tips), #14 (Jana to the Rescue), #16 (The Hot Line Emergency), #17 (Celebrity Auction), #18 (Teen Taxi), #19 (The Boys-Only Club), #23 (Mall Mania), #25 (The Fabulous Five Minus One), #26 (Laura's Secret), #27 (The Scapegoat), #28 (Breaking Up), Special Edition #3-- Missing You
Taffy Sinclair, Queen of the Soaps
The Baby-Sitters Club-- Claudia's (it has "freind" crossed out and then "friend"), the first one with Claudia (I forget what it is), the first one with Mary Anne (I forget what it is), Mary Anne and the Library Mystery
Little House In The Big Woods
The Boxcar Children-- The Disappearing Friend Mystery, The Deserted Library Mystery, The Lighthouse Mystery, The Boxcar Children, Mike's Mystery, The Deserted Island Mystery, The Woodshed Mystery or something
Sleepover Friends-- one or two from that series
After (my favorite due to the current situation with that!)

Parts of:
The Baby Sitters Club-- Claudia and the Terrible Truth
Best Friends-- two of them; one was Dawn Selby, Super Sleuth
Eva
Leaving Fishers
The Bus People
Borrowed Children
Yesterday's Child
Murphy's Island
What Girls Learn
Adrian Mole diaries-- I forget the exact title
The Exiles
Greater Than Angels
Kissing Doorknobs
I Am The Cheese
Surviving Sam
The Lights Go On Again
A Season For Goodbye
To Live Again
The Legacy-- Making Wishes Come True
Don't Die, My Love
The Girl Who Wanted Out
Reach for Tomorrow
The Subtle Knife
I'll Be Seeing You
The Amber Spyglass
Mourning Song
Yesterday's Doll
Term Paper

And many more!

Belle77
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2007, 11:39 pm

No way could I list the multitude of books that I read as a kid, but my favorites were the Anne of Green Gables series and the Ramona series. I did read quite a few that are on your list though.

Last edited by Belle77 on 17 Nov 2007, 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2007, 11:40 pm

OMG, THAT's the one I forgot! I loved Anne of Green Gables, and Anne of Ingleside. :D

Belle77
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2007, 11:44 pm

I still have the whole series and I've been thinking about reading them again...don't know when I will though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_of_green_gables#Sequels

I really enjoy the Canadian movies with Megan Follows too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_of_green_gables#Television_movies

Dunwich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Nov 2007, 11:59 pm

I read all of H.G. Wells' biggest novels except "Year of the Comet" in Middle School. This shocked everyone I told in college, since most people find his writing intolerably boring in certain chapters. This included my senior roommate, who was also the first person to ever ask me if I had AS. Coincidence?

I guess I respected Wells for trying to give EVERYTHING a plausable explaination. I'd rather see something analyzed to death than just taken for granted, like Jules Verne having prehistoric animals still living below earth's surface, playing off an irrational association people make with that being where we find their fossils.

Also read SuperFudge, Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing, and a dozen Hardy Boys Books, can't remember which ones.

Jurassic Park and The Lost World
Split Infinity
The Martian Chronicles
A Wrinkle in Time
Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass
Frankenstein

And from my Junior year of college to present, most of Michael Moorcock's older stuff, except the later Elric books and middle Cornelius books.

And starting right after college, most of H.P. Lovecraft.

and that is beautiful.

-TMBG

Spaceplayer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2007, 12:20 am

Lord of the Rings Trilogy in High school. I was reading it during english class when I was supposed to be reading Chaucer.

Apollyon
Toucan
Toucan

18 Nov 2007, 12:46 am

There isn't enough room on the boards to list the books I read. Plus, I can't remember the names of all of them off the top of my head. Yes, I was possibly the only student in my english courses who was reprimanded for reading in class. (Because I wasn't reading the curriculum.)

Early part of grammar school I was very much into Ray Bradbury, HG Wells, CS Lewis, and Isaac Asimov. While everyone else was boring me to tears with A Missing Piece. However I did have a soft spot for the Ramona books.

By middle school I was mostly interested in "research" type reading materials; anatomy, biology, philosophy, theology, mythology, folklore, psychology, and true crime, although I do remember reading a lot of HP Lovecraft and Clive Barker.

I never cared for a lot of the books I was required to read in school. I just found them to be incredibly dry. However, I did enjoy the works of Chekhov, Hemmingway, etc.

To be completely honest I never liked Lord of the Rings, which was curriculum. I just found that Tolkien rambled on and on in the most tedious ways at time, and it made it very difficult to move forward in the books. However I did have to appreciate his love for linguistics, since I'm interested in language, and I can respect the amount of brain power it takes to create a comprehensible invented language.

Belle77
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2007, 1:04 am

Apollyon wrote:
I never cared for a lot of the books I was required to read in school.

I almost never read the books that I was required to read once I got to high school. I have no idea how I faked my way through writing papers on them and got good grades. :?

Apollyon
Toucan
Toucan

18 Nov 2007, 1:13 am

Belle77 wrote:
Apollyon wrote:
I never cared for a lot of the books I was required to read in school.

I almost never read the books that I was required to read once I got to high school. I have no idea how I faked my way through writing papers on them and got good grades. :?

I'd watch the film versions. :lol:
If that wasn't an option, I was quite good at creating an entire book report off of the back cover summary. Filler is a wonderful thing!

Dunwich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2007, 1:20 am

Apollyon wrote:
I'd watch the film versions. :lol:

That often works better than actually reading Shakespeare. Plays were meant to be seen, and I often completely missed the point when reading them.

Sorry I forgot the topic and posted some of what I've read as an adult.

And I forgot "The Phantom Tollbooth"

and that is beautiful.

-TMBG

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Nov 2007, 5:55 am

I read alot of the goosbumps when they were popular starting in 5th grade.

I read an X files book.

I read a book about a computer game I used to be obsessed about MYST back in the day.

I read some weird science fiction book about the titanic

I read alot about the universe

Its unfortunate after all these years I cant remember the titles of any of these books. I have not read a book cover to cover in years, never have any time anymore...

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Nov 2007, 6:12 am

I used to be a big fan of Jules Verne....
I've read: "Around the World In Eighty Days", "From The Earth to The Moon", "Journey to The Centre of The Earth",
"A Long Vacation" -About a group of New Zealand Shool-boys marooned on an island in the South Pacific...
"Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea", And "THe Mysterious Island". Verne is considered by many to be
the "Father" of modern science fiction.

I also read one of his Non SF novels "Micheal Strogoff" a story about a courrier for the Czar.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2007, 8:30 am

So many non-fiction books that I can't remember them all.

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2007, 5:06 pm

I read and re-read the same books from the library (and my own shelf) over and over again.
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
The whole Little House series.
The Wizard of Oz.
Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass.
Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars and the rest of D. Manus Pinkwater's books (all excellent reads).
The Wrinkle in Time trilogy.
and a lot of math books. Curiosities of the Cube was a special favorite.
When they remodeled that library and examined the collection to see what was worth putting in the newfangled fancy space, I hoped they would notice that I had checked out many of these books twenty times or more and give them to me instead of throwing them away, but that is not what happened, disappointingly.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2007, 5:48 pm

Oh, yeah, I also read, and loved, The Best/Worst Christmas Pageant Ever, The Best/Worst School Year Ever, Matilda, lots of Archie comics, The Haunting on (or of?) Holroyd Hill, University Hospital: Crisis Point, and one of our teachers read us The Valentine That Ate My Teacher in class... and my favorites were the first 6 Harry Potter books (and the 7th, but I wasn't a kid when it came out and I never finished it). I never got past the begiining of The Hobbit and read the most exciting parts of Lord of the Rings, but I read a fair bit of it.

BrutalRhubarb
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Nov 2007, 6:26 pm

I admit I lost interest in books when I discovered K'nex (I still very much regret tearing down my green and white dog), but I have to mention the book that gripped me in fourth grade: Inside the Atom by Isaac Asimov. I also enjoyed reading about animals, airplanes and dinosaurs. I read Raptor Red about five thousand times. Also a fan of the Hardy Boys and obscure science fiction novels. I've never resumed my reading habits from Elementary School.