Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

elan_i
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jan 2008, 9:48 pm

It's my impression, that with our hyper-active sensory abilities, many of us would be very suited for warfare, especially hand-to-hand and weapon combat.

Incredible abilities to attend to the slightest sounds, and fully attend to them, and react to them.
Incredible abilities to see the slightest movements, and devote 100% of our attention to them.
Incredible ability to be extraordinarily visually and auditorily vigilant to our surroundings.

I think many Aspies have immense sensory concentration abilities, and to me these abilities seem very much similar in nature and degree to what many animals have, that is, predatory animals.

But obviously it seems not common for Aspies to enlist into the military. And in this time in history, it seems that many Aspies decide on doing relatively less-than-typical physical activity for work and outside of work. But I think that at another time in history, many Aspies would have been incredible warriors. And maybe in the future sometime.

Last edited by elan_i on 27 Jan 2008, 5:08 am, edited 8 times in total.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 9:50 pm

My dad's side of the family has a long military history, and also a history of AS, though I'm the first to be diagnosed. :)

frankwah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2008, 9:58 pm

What about incredible clumsiness?
What about incredible ineptitude at working in teams?

However.... lack of empathy certainly would be an advantage.

Aspies are an aberration.

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 10:02 pm

I don't have it in me to hurt someone intentionally...

Last edited by DejaQ on 26 Jan 2008, 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

I seriously doubt it.

Motor clumsiness and the [admirable] inability often times to "follow the herd" are not consistent with effective warfare.

elan_i
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

frankwah wrote:
What about incredible clumsiness?
What about incredible ineptitude at working in teams?

DejaQ wrote:
I don't have it in me to hurt someone intentionally...

Yes at this time in history, like I noted. In this time, the sensory capacities of Aspies are not utilized. Similar, in a way, it seems, like domesticated animals who do very little physical activity, which is very common in this time, as most domesticated animals spend most of their lives inside a house laying down and/or sleeping. I'm imagining another time.

Last edited by elan_i on 26 Jan 2008, 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Whisperer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2008, 10:03 pm

There's a similar theory about ADD corresponding to a "hunter" type of human being.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 10:20 pm

I could probably join the Army, if I could get down to 150 lbs.

Dishman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jan 2008, 10:28 pm

I'm normally clumsy.

When I'm in hazardous or recreational combat situations (ie football), that goes away. My movements become precise and very fast. I can't sustain that state, though.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 10:30 pm

Take a look at some of our personality traits and those of the "average" medieval knight.... We aren't always nice playmates.

The one evolutionary advantage that Asperger's would give a primitive would be superior skills for hunting/war. Including making weapons. The ability to think visually... gives and advantage. The perception of sound, the heightened peripheral vision... Oh come on it had to have SOME advantage or we would have died out.

And there are lots of Aspies who not only are in the military, but have served with distinction. Some who had reputations of being nuttier than Mr Peanut maybe, but they got the job done.

LMAO anybody remember George Patton? The military give us RULES. Even the ones that aren't written down are communicated clearly. The social rules in the military are MUCH easier for some of us. Status is clearly defined... it's right there on your shirt... Social rules are strict, but logical and apply to everyone. Rituals are observed... in the form of military tradition. Attention to detail. And the military has a saying, that business and the non-military world doesn't follow... "if it's stupid and it works... it ain't stupid". The advantages that would have set us a little higher on the food chain in a medieval setting are mostly negated by modern warfare. Some of that is turning around with the increasing tech the military is turning to. ROV's are perfect for videogame junkies.

elan_i
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jan 2008, 10:34 pm

AspieDave wrote:
The advantages that would have set us a little higher on the food chain in a medieval setting are mostly negated by modern warfare.

I was thinking of this to, in writing my original post. I was thinking Aspies would be more skilled in certain types of battle, and probably more primitive types (non-mechanized), like hand-to-hand combat ... like in the medieval times as you mentioned. Or even more primitive.

Last edited by elan_i on 26 Jan 2008, 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elan_i
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jan 2008, 10:36 pm

Dishman wrote:
I'm normally clumsy.

When I'm in hazardous or recreational combat situations (ie football), that goes away. My movements become precise and very fast. I can't sustain that state, though.

Pretty cool and interesting. "Recreational combat", that's cool.

Interesting that in another setting the skills come out. I think the laboratory Aspie worker who walks a total of 1/2 mile in the entire day may have within he or she immense physical potential.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 10:42 pm

Aspies who have motor clumsiness, or difficulty with processing visual information, would have a tough time as soldiers. Also, enhanced senses would not be an advantage in the midst of a noisy, crazy battle. An Aspie who has a meltdown because of loud noises would have difficulty functioning on the battlefield.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 10:42 pm

Aspies, by definition have lower muscle tone than NTs.

No - it's not the rule for all aspies - there are exceptions - but not lots.

MusicMaker1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jan 2008, 10:49 pm

I have ADHD too and have also read that book that compares people with ADD to hunters. The ability to "hyperfocus" would be excellent for hunting/combat and people with autism seem to have that ability in many ways also.. Just like someone with ADD, maybe an autistic person would make a good "scout"... one who is not necessarily part of the group, but goes out ahead or in another direction to keep a watch to alert others to anything dangerous?

Also, I could be wrong, but it seems like whenever I hear a story of someone that goes missing on say, a hiking or camping trip, that happens to be autistic... they always seem to survive against all odds.... somehow... mysteriously.... even if it's a younger, autistic kid.. This isn't to say that there have not been instances where unfortunately the autistic person died.. but what I'm saying is that... I've noticed in many news articles where autistic people have strayed off into the wilderness and amazingly have been found days later mysteriously in fairly good condition.. Have any of you noticed that? maybe I'm wrong, but it just seems like I've read an awful lot of news reports of autistic kids being found days later...

Last edited by MusicMaker1 on 26 Jan 2008, 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elan_i
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jan 2008, 10:56 pm

Aspies are atoms with immense potential energy inside, and in the right time in history, the big-bang release of impressive physical abilities.

Now we lie dormant. The conditions are not such that we need to explode. At least not currently.