http://www.guardian.co.uk/katrina/story ... 56,00.html
Jamie Wilson in New Orleans
Monday September 12, 2005
The Guardian

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2005, 11:55 pm

COOL! Maybe I could go get a job there? :D I wonder what the prerequisites are?

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2005, 11:56 pm

aspergian_mutant wrote:

Yovi said. "I told him how the water had stopped just at the back gate. God watches out for the rich people, I guess."

Tosser.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2005, 12:57 am

couldn't agree more, eamonn.

RobertN
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2005, 7:18 am

In my opinion, the State should engage in a nationwide legal looting of rich people's houses.

The resources gained would be invaluable to saving the lives of the poor. :lol: :lol:

adversarial
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2005, 3:14 pm

eamonn wrote:
aspergian_mutant wrote:

Yovi said. "I told him how the water had stopped just at the back gate. God watches out for the rich people, I guess."

Tosser.

I suspect that the Security Guard who made that comment did so from a position of sarcasm rather than endorsement of the sentiment he appeared to be expressing.

Besides, anyone who needs to invoke God in order to express a sentiment is probably on very shaky ground to begin with.

I wonder how many hired security personnel share the same ethical framework as the rich that they seem to be being paid to serve to protect?

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2005, 3:18 pm

good point, adversarial.

was listening to R4 thi evening. minette walter's new book was being discussed, and she was talking about private security chaps (i.e. mercenaries) in war zones and disaster areas. apparently, a lot of them are psychopaths...

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2005, 4:05 pm

vetivert wrote:
...apparently, a lot of them are psychopaths...

You mean the money is green and there's no psychological test on the job application to lie on or fail? I'M SO THERE!! ! :D I need to go tell Malcolm_Scipo about this.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2005, 8:43 pm

adversarial wrote:

I suspect that the Security Guard who made that comment did so from a position of sarcasm rather than endorsement of the sentiment he appeared to be expressing.

Besides, anyone who needs to invoke God in order to express a sentiment is probably on very shaky ground to begin with.

I wonder how many hired security personnel share the same ethical framework as the rich that they seem to be being paid to serve to protect?

I was thinking that might be the case afterwards but i have worked security and although a lot of guards have a healthy disrepect for authority, there are those who truly believe in the greatness of the rich and authority. A lot of them tend to be ex-army as well. You are probably right though, he probably was being sarcastic. I make jokes like that all the time.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2005, 9:32 pm

I would rather be a mercenary than a normal soldier, at least you are being well compensated for the danger you are putting yourself in.