Are you pro-choice?
Yes 75%  75%  [ 222 ]
No 25%  25%  [ 73 ]
Total votes : 295

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 2:23 am

Alright, I'd like to find out where the women here on WP stand on the abortion issue(ONLY women vote please).
Somehow I get the impression peeps here on WP are far more pro-choice than AFF which is "pro-life" to the core :roll: .

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 3:05 am

I'm Pro-Life and I feel that every baby who's conceived, has the right to be born. Everybody should have a chance at life. If I was married, and my unborn child had Down Syndrome, I'd keep the child. I would never have an abortion, if I found out that my unborn child had autism. I feel that if you make a baby, that you should keep it, no matter what.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 3:10 am

I'm pro-coice, but my own personal opinion for me is with the above poster. I personally would never kill an unborn child, I think it's wrong to punish someone else for whatever you have done.

But I also belive that any adult should have the right to make that desicion on their own. If they think they can deal with the years of anguish knowing they killed a child, then, it's their choice to kill that child.

LadyM
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Apr 2008, 3:23 am

Pro-choice here. If I became pregnant, I'd have an abortion. I thankfully have taken the steps to prevent it but just in case something crazy happens (like rape) I'd have the abortion.

What other people do or don't do with their bodies though is their business. I like to think that the choice is deeply personal and that no one should have a say other than the woman who would have to carry the child to term.

Nico
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 4:02 am

I'm pro-choice. I believe that every woman has the right too choose and I don't believe there's any point bringing a child into this world if you're not prepared to love it.

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 4:05 am

D1nk0 wrote:
Alright, I'd like to find out where the women here on WP stand on the abortion issue(ONLY women vote please).
Somehow I get the impression peeps here on WP are far more pro-choice than AFF which is "pro-life" to the core :roll: .

hey put another option in your poll so males get see the result.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

14 Apr 2008, 4:12 am

Pro-life.

IMO, no one has the right to kill a living being, whether it being born or un-born. A life is a life, and taking it away is murder. :evil:

Jainaday
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 8:33 am

I feel that abortion should happen as seldom as possible and as often as necessary.

I wish, instead of going on about whether abortion should be legal, that we would focus on the more humanitarian measures that would cause it to happen less; improving birth control options, adoption options, and support for parenting.

use_your_words
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Apr 2008, 8:47 am

Jainaday wrote:
I wish, instead of going on about whether abortion should be legal, that we would focus on the more humanitarian measures that would cause it to happen less; improving birth control options, adoption options, and support for parenting.

Yes! I agree with you one hundred percent.

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind..."

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 9:23 am

Brittany2907 wrote:
Pro-life.

IMO, no one has the right to kill a living being, whether it being born or un-born. A life is a life, and taking it away is murder. :evil:

What about the case where the fetus has a lethal genetic disease like Tay-Sachs? Or worse yet, what if it has anencephaly? Which BTW is a truly HORRIFIC birth defect where the baby's brain fails to develop and there's a gaping hole on the top of the head. I consider not aborting an anencephalic fetus to be inhuman since it will die shortly after birth and NEVER actually experience this world since no brain=no conscious thoughts or emotions.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 10:29 am

Pro-choice all the way. My dad got me pregnant when I was twelve, then I was hauled off for an abortion without any say in the matter. You realize in situations like that that choice is necessary for basic mental health. Plus women need to be able to regulate the size of their families and the spacing of their kids, if they're going to do right by the ones they already have.

Now, if you asked about genetic testing and abortion, you might get a different set of answers.

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 11:08 am

Anemone wrote:
Pro-choice all the way. My dad got me pregnant when I was twelve, then I was hauled off for an abortion without any say in the matter. You realize in situations like that that choice is necessary for basic mental health. Plus women need to be able to regulate the size of their families and the spacing of their kids, if they're going to do right by the ones they already have.

Now, if you asked about genetic testing and abortion, you might get a different set of answers.

Good gawd, thats really awful(what your loser father did to you). I couldnt agree more that abortion is a necessity in such cases.
I hope the 'old man' is a Punk in prison somewhere :P .

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 2:44 pm

Jainaday wrote:
I feel that abortion should happen as seldom as possible and as often as necessary.

Anemone wrote:
You realize in situations like that that choice is necessary for basic mental health. Plus women need to be able to regulate the size of their families and the spacing of their kids, if they're going to do right by the ones they already have.

I concur with both of the above.
Voted for "pro-choice" in poll. I despise medical procedures (which is what I personally view it as being) but the unpleasantness (again, for me-I wouldn't presume to boss someone else around-nor should others determine fate of my body, either) pales in comparison with what my life would be like if I didn't have that choice. I don't want children-am absolutely sure about that-and people who spout things that would try to take away my right to decide the direction & condition of "the world inside my skin" frighten me.
Simply put: abortion is icky-but pregnancy, childbirth, and child-rearing are a million times ickier (to me). Don't intend to be offensive or sound un-serious, but that's my basic reaction.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 2:50 pm

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=_xPkYFH4imw[/youtube]

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 3:10 pm

D1nk0 wrote:
Brittany2907 wrote:
Pro-life.

What about the case where the fetus has a lethal genetic disease like Tay-Sachs? Or worse yet, what if it has anencephaly? Which BTW is a truly HORRIFIC birth defect where the baby's brain fails to develop and there's a gaping hole on the top of the head. I consider not aborting an anencephalic fetus to be inhuman since it will die shortly after birth and NEVER actually experience this world since no brain=no conscious thoughts or emotions.

Abortions done because of rape and severe fetal birth defects account for less than 2% of all abortions. This means the other 98% of abortions are done due to lack of or inadequate birth control, or women being unaware of how the reproductive process works. Most unplanned pregnancies can be prevented with a bit of effort. What these MOTHERS AND FATHERS don't get is that abortion doesn't make them un-pregnant, it makes them the parent of a dead baby. More than 80% of women who have had an abortion regrets it and wishes they had not. Imagine living with that for the rest of your life.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm pro-life. I am not against terminating pregnancies where the child has a fatal birth defect, where the mother's life or health is at risk or when the mother is too psychologically unstable or otherwise handicapped to withstand the physical and emotional toll of a pregnancy. I also believe this can be determined early in the pregnancy, and should be done, if necessary, as soon as possible. Babies can feel by 12 weeks, and what a horrific death to suffer. Babies are not property, they're people. Only in dire circumstances should abortion ever need to happen. I find it tragic that 1/3 of our generation has been put to death.

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 3:18 pm

Anemone wrote:

Anemone, that is a horrific story and I am sorry you had to go through all of that. There are some extreme situations where terminating a pregnancy might be the lesser of all evils, though thankfully these are rare circumstances.

I agree that women should be able to regulate the size of their families, but there are other ways of accomplishing this before life is created and must be destroyed for convenience. Most babies are aborted for convenience.