Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 10:16 pm

I've been having problems with my roommates lately... I know they find me strange (I'm pretty sure all of them know I have AS), but they've been getting pissed at me for things that I'm not responsible for lately. One of them got mad at me a while back for not buying toilet paper, and I've contributed as much as two of them have (one of them has barely contributed any), if not more. She also snapped and left a bitchy note in the bathroom when I changed the trash but left the old trash in there last night. I took it down today. They also got pissed at me for cleaning the bathroom tonight (which was truly disgusting), they took it personally and assumed I was insulting them for being lazy, when in fact the bathroom was, really, just gross. They're all becoming friends too, which kind of sucks for me because I'm sure they're bashing me, they're in the next room being obnoxiously loud at this moment and probably talking s**t about me.

They're good people, they've helped me out in the past, but I guess it's in their personalities to be a little bit fake. They also
overreact all the f*****g time. It pisses me off. What happened to coexisting peacefully, and doing things yourself (like cleaning) if something bothers you?

I'm living with three different, very sweet girls next year (and won't have to share a room with any of them), so I don't think such an issue will arrive with them, but in the meantime, how should I deal with this for now?

rock_head132
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Apr 2008, 10:37 pm

Why stay where you are not welcome?

can't you just walk away? Is there a reason You must stay there?

I've never had any trouble leaving people who I am displeased with.

They just are never worth the headache.

I truly don't understand hanging around where you are not welcome.

sorry if this is sounds cold.

The issues will come up no mater who your with. living with someone is hard.
It's a matter of them understanding and accepting that you are who you are.

I don't know if this helps any I only have my own failed relationships to go by.

Last edited by rock_head132 on 14 Apr 2008, 10:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 10:44 pm

Sounds like the same prob I'm having, cept all my roomies are male. See, I broke up with my BF, so there goes living with him. So I move into a friends while I'm waiting for my apartment to be done (2 days has turned into 2 weeks and counting) and they all think I'm freeloading off them. Even though I bought the first food they had seen in two months, and even skillets to cook it in, AND I cook it FOR THEM. They don't have to do jack s**t.

And the one REALLY bad freeloader is the one complaining about me! His idea of job searching includes getting on XBox live and seeing if any of his friends have heard about jobs. He hasn't worked in like 5 months, and when I was working, I'd make sure to take him out and buy him food even though I knew there was no way he could pay me back. I mean, seriously, he's just an ass. He's hated me since he met me, says I 'remind him of his mother', who, from what I've been told by 4 other people, was a snobbish controlling and abusive b***h. I sure as hell aint that, it's completly impossible for me.

So basically I'm living with three guys, being soccer mum since I'm the only one with a license to drive, plus a CAR to drive, so really, how can they b***h?

And sorry to not offer you advice, but this all just came to a head like 10 mins ago, and I saw your post and so agreed with you. Trust me, as soon as I figure out how the hell to survive this, I'll let you know!

happyheather912
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Apr 2008, 11:21 pm

NT girls make HORRIBLE roomies for Aspie chicks, usually. I did my time with it in college, and it was an awful experience. My NT roomie did the same thing - sort of made me her little "gopher girl" because she knew how desperately I wanted to make friends.

If I were you, I'd look for other housing options. I finally had to break down and see my housing counselor, and took a private room the next semester. ;)

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 11:42 pm

Well, one of them DID thank me for cleaning tonight, which is nice. I guess for the next month I'll just have to keep my cool. I have friends elsewhere and don't have to be friends with everyone I live with, just as long as we get by with minimal conflicts, right?

It's really not that bad compared to what some of my friends have had to deal with. I consider myself lucky.

Next year is more of an apartment situation, but each of us gets our own room. Should be a sweet deal.

This deal lasts just one more month anyway. I can hold on until then.

rock_head132
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Apr 2008, 12:01 am

Sounds Like you worked it a bit. No?

Good job. :wink:

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 10:22 am

Yah, my philosophy is that people should just get stuff done and not b***h and moan that someone else isn't doing it that should be. It won't stop them from being a little bitchy about everything, but I guess it helps.

cd1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Apr 2008, 10:25 am

happyheather912 wrote:
NT girls make HORRIBLE roomies for Aspie chicks, usually. I did my time with it in college, and it was an awful experience. My NT roomie did the same thing - sort of made me her little "gopher girl" because she knew how desperately I wanted to make friends.

If I were you, I'd look for other housing options. I finally had to break down and see my housing counselor, and took a private room the next semester. ;)

OTOH, I had NT girls as college roommates for two years, and found them just fine. I'm a guy. They were easier to deal with than NT guys. Their messes were smaller, they didn't have drinking buddies over constantly, and they were a lot more prone to let me have my "aspie space" than guys were because of the natural platonic distance between genders.