Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Kissemiss
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Apr 2008, 4:47 pm

Well I'm 19 now and in Sweden you get to study and try out for your driver's lisence when you are 18.
I'm a little late but I just haven't had the time (or the will) to study so me and my parents decided to try this summer when I have the time.

But I tried to drive a car ONCE before I did what my mum instructed me to do and the car went to fast so I hit the break and it shut down. It scared me to death so I'm terrified of sitting in that car again because I can't even do 2 things at once...
As soon as I think about driving a car I feel sick.

Anyone else have this problem or do have a drivers lisence or are currently studying for one?

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 4:53 pm

"Afraid of driving a car?"

Yes! 8O (I'm 16, you know.)

Kissemiss
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Apr 2008, 5:07 pm

Have you driven a car yet :o?

I'm terrified I have to get in that car this summer!
I don't want to pay for pure torture :lol:

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 5:12 pm

There's another thread somewhere that someone recently started about being terrified to start driving. I can't rmember where it is though.

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

tksteph
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Apr 2008, 6:34 pm

oh man i hate them... i actually have a drivers permit (i'm allowed to drive with someone else in the car), but that was just a multiple choice test, i've actually only driven a car twice in the past 8 months... and not by choice...

but its kinda necessary where i live, so when i'm eligible for the real liscense i'll try and get it... I'd actually be happy just driving to a bus stop a couple of miles away, then i could get around at least.

SierraBell
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Apr 2008, 9:34 pm

Kissemiss wrote:
Well I'm 19 now and in Sweden you get to study and try out for your driver's lisence when you are 18.
I'm a little late but I just haven't had the time (or the will) to study so me and my parents decided to try this summer when I have the time.

But I tried to drive a car ONCE before I did what my mum instructed me to do and the car went to fast so I hit the break and it shut down. It scared me to death so I'm terrified of sitting in that car again because I can't even do 2 things at once...

Anyone else have this problem or do have a drivers lisence or are currently studying for one?

Sort of, mostly because I am afraid because the wheels might make the car move. I had nightmares as a kid of the car moving, with me in the back seat, and no one was driving it! I try to grab on to the wheel to stop it, but I usually would not be able to.

I'm trying to drive a little bit, it's exciting, but my nightmares sometimes do come back to haunt me.

Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 11:26 pm

Nope, driving is easy.

nomad21
Toucan
Toucan

15 Apr 2008, 11:51 pm

I got my driver's license recently. Most NTs seem to jump the gun and get their driver's licence as soon as they turn 16. They were all wondering why I didn't, I was absolutely terrorified and just plain bad at driving. Finally got it, over a year later than my peers. I failed my first driving test and passed the second time. I try to avoid having to drive, I hate it. :(

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

16 Apr 2008, 1:43 am

I don't have a drivers lisence, but have had driving lessons before from a neighbour at her parents farm.
Anyway, I managed to crash the car into a ditch on the side of the road. This scared the s**t out of me and I don't want to drive EVER! I could have got my drivers lisence almost two years ago (in NZ the legal minimum driving age is 15), but I didn't want to at the time and don't think I ever will want to.

Kissemiss
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Apr 2008, 2:36 am

Yeah I have nightmare about just cars in general, chasing me O_O.

But in my dreams, when I drive a car I'm not scared but I always crash and run over people :P, not really a good sign.

onefourninezero
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Apr 2008, 5:42 am

I was terrified to start with but after a few weeks I got to grips with how to do everything and now I don't panic at all. Not even when I was going over 40 miles an hour and someone pulled out in front of me unexpectedly and I had to perform an emergency stop 8) . I'm still on a provisional license and hoping to get my full license in the next few months.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 4:07 pm

Kissemiss wrote:

My Mum told me the same thing about her first time in a car and she's about as NT as you can get, so don't worry (she drives on regular basis now).

I am not allowed to drive, even though I somehow want to learn it, because if I took the vision test, I'd flunk it spectacularily.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

mattw
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Apr 2008, 11:54 am

Got my driving licence just before my 17th birthday and began driving two week ago. I couldnt start on my birthday as i was on holiday. Ive so far had two lessons (5 hours in total) and from my lesson next week ill be driving on the road and not on a car park.

The instructor knows about my AS and has helped me quite a lot to start driving. The hardest part is having to concentrate on everything which isnt always easy for me as with most people with AS we concentrate on the little "none imoprtant" things.

I stalled the car a few times aswell and kept forgetting to put the cars handbreak on and turn it back into neutral, i just kept turning the keys on and off. Driving should however come quite naturally to me as you need to get into a routeen as things you do will be the same, breaking, clutch control, steering, handbreak etc...

Good luck to anyone else learning to drive :)

Kissemiss
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Apr 2008, 5:01 am

Thanks alot mattw!
I hope driving lessons will go as good for me as it did for you :)

matrix
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 1:52 pm

Can't afford it, and don't need it.

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Apr 2008, 4:33 pm

I started having driving lessons recently. Been doing quite well, and it is easier than I thought, as I didn't want to learn to drive last year. But I suppose it is a little bit different when you are in a car with dual controls and an experienced instructor.