Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2005, 6:16 pm

Well, I had a second interview with a small local accounting firm today and I've gotta say, I'm really surprised at what they had to tell me. The innitial interview was one I had arranged through career services at my college, this firm added themselves up late so that one of the career counselors sent a batch email to everyone notifying that this firm was on the line-up, and it was almost kind of random that I picked them.

I found it very relieving to see that I was making a good impression with one of the senior partners as well as the founding partner but in addition, I really owe it to the first guy I interviewed with - the founding partner said that he'd given me a very affirmative thumbs up and that they weren't even thinking about starting me as an intern - they said they'd call me Friday and could probably start me, I'm taking it, after I put my 2 weeks in where I work. Only thing the founding partner mentioned though is that there is one more interview they have to do tommorow with another applicant but he openly admitted that he liked me a lot already and the odds are I'll be hearing from him. Not to count my chickens before they hatch or anything, but I guess I'm just really shocked and flattered that as an aspie (albeit a rather mild one) that I've not only passed their screening (which they've told me they're pretty rigorous about).

Even if I don't get the job, I guess it just goes to show that the 'real' work world is probably gonna take me in a much different way and that they actually proze a guy or girl who's on-point. In the past, especially in the food industry, it's seemed like guile was everything - here it seems a bit more like social skills are important but no one's gonna bash you for comming off as wholesome or as a good person: completely the opposite of where I've been for the last 5 years. Just on that account and especially since my divorced friend needs another roommate to help him with the mortgage payments on his house, I'd really love to think that I'll be hearing back from these guys. It sounds like a pretty mixed bag of auditin, tax, and management consultation but having that kind of potpouride mix will probably be great just for teaching me practical skills and knowledge in a much more hands-on way than I'd get at one of the 'Big 4' public accounting firms.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

oatwillie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Oct 2005, 6:20 pm

Very cool. Just being able to get this far through the gauntlet warrants kudos. Best wishes for much further success!

Sacred Cows make the tastiest hambuger.

visualize whirled peas

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2005, 6:28 pm

Awesome. Congratulations on finally figuring out the interview thing - I know how good that feels. That's one thing I've always hoped for in the business world - that there are places in it where efficiency an honest presentation of willingness to work hard actually count for something. I'll be starting my first full-time job on the 7th. I hope you get this one too, it sounds like you've got a really good chance.

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2005, 7:16 pm

That sounds great! Hope it all comes through for you.

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2005, 12:36 am

Congratulations! :D I always kinda figured the accounting world would be totally different from the food industry, more aspie-friendly... it's awesome that things are working out SO well for you. So how many hours a week would you be working? Not too many I hope, while you've still got school to focus on. This sounds like a good place to start, since you'd get some experience doing different things. Good for a resume/future jobs if you wanna leave there later on. If you get this job will you still pursue the other one you wanted in Washington if they're interested in you?

You mentioned your 'divorced friend'... is that the one whose wife recently (suddenly/unexpectedly) left him? :(

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2005, 3:23 am

neongrl wrote:
Congratulations! :D I always kinda figured the accounting world would be totally different from the food industry, more aspie-friendly... it's awesome that things are working out SO well for you. So how many hours a week would you be working? Not too many I hope, while you've still got school to focus on. This sounds like a good place to start, since you'd get some experience doing different things. Good for a resume/future jobs if you wanna leave there later on. If you get this job will you still pursue the other one you wanted in Washington if they're interested in you?

You mentioned your 'divorced friend'... is that the one whose wife recently (suddenly/unexpectedly) left him? :(

Well, I think the main guy there was talking about starting me out at part time this semester and starting me full-time by next (full time between January and late April would probably be 50-60 hrs. per week for them, with most firms it's like 80). It doesn't really matter much either way IMO because I only have 2 classes and will be in the same position then.

As for my 'divorced friend', he's trying for a dissolution but it may hit some snags. He's been dating a girl now who he's starting to get close with, there was a early holloween party this past saturday where the drama kinda hit the fan between other people and her, and to make matters worse things have gotten bad between him and the girl who his wife it living with. What really makes it all messed up is that this other girl knew of the problems his wife was having, only passed it along as if it were her opinion, and one morbid possibility we've been kicking arround is that she liked him, held back to let things fall apart, and has now been trying to pry her way in. She was trashing his new girlfriend to everyone, saying all kinds of stuff that she's predicting, and I've kind of wondered about her personal integrity a bit for a while. His new girlfriend was feeling pretty bad about it, she's trying to sever ties with an ex, and my friend has pretty much taken it up to return anything he'd borrowed, stop hanging with this other girl at all, and talk to some of his other friends who were also being kindof shady toward his new girlfriend. His biggest concern though is, since this other friend may be going back to his wife and spouting all kinds of BS and since its possible that she may get vindictive (lol, forget the fact that she was f'ing another guy behind his back for at least a month who was helping him fix up the house of all things) he's worried that this could go from being a clean dissolution to being a full-blown divorce. Sounds like a fun scenareo doesn't it. Makes me really thank God that I'm single sometimes just because, these days its almost impossible not to find someone who won't just clam up over problems, get a piece of someone else behind your back, and then put it on you like it was your fault for not pleasing em well enough.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2005, 2:41 pm

Hey, it's Friday. Any news on that job yet?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2005, 3:27 pm

No, nothing on the caller ID either. Even if Emilie (I think she was the 'other' applicant) gets the job over me, I'd at least like to think they have it in em to call me and tell me as much in a prompt way.

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2005, 11:10 pm

That sucks. Hopefully you've heard something since you wrote that last post. Especially since it's a Friday - you'll have to wait all weekend til the next business day when they might call. Have you heard anything yet from the other places you had interviews with or is it too early? I don't know what the usual time frame would be on that.

P.S. The new avatar looks cool, it's a bit small though to really see exactly what it is. Can you make it any bigger?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2005, 10:41 am

Just a follow-up on an old thread. Contact between me and that firm was a little sketchy for a few weeks or so, however I did just get a call from the head partner of the firm and suffice to say I got the internship at least for starters. Looks like I'll be starting with em either the 1st or 2nd week of January. Glad to see this is still going somewhere.

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2005, 3:54 pm

Congratulations! Sounds like a good start... If it's an internship does that mean you'll still be at Olive Garden too, or do you get to leave there?

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2005, 4:07 pm

That is wonderful! Just great!

A great many interships turn into full time positions too.

:D

pink
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2005, 2:45 am

How is the internship going? Hope it is going well. It will look very good on a resume for the future.