Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Timberwolf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Aug 2008, 4:26 pm

OK here goes

I'm 47 now and was only recently diagnosed with Asperger's. I've known I was 'different' since I was very young and went through the usual social problems at school etc., ending up under an educational psychologist when I was 15 to find out 'what was wrong'. Never got any real answer as nobody knew much about autism let alone anything about asperger's. I now wonder how my life might have been different if they had been able to diagnose this way back then.

Since being diagnosed I've read many of Attwood's books and have in many ways relived my life over again, including many parts of that I had hidden away because of the trauma they caused me at the time and I thought I just wanted to be 'normal' and accepted by those around me. It's been quite a journey in the last few months, but many things make sense now.

I have 2 Grandsons and one exhibits many of the classic signs of an Aspie at the age of 5. I think the main thing for me is that if he is then we can get help for him and he does not suffer as I did at the hands of the NTs.

When I was diagnosed I was told that I met all the criteria. Well I never do anything by halves. I've had many jobs and in recent years been quite successful in attaining the dizzy heights of Assistant Director of IT. It doesn't matter though because I still find many aspects of everyday life hard to cope with and often don't want to go to work because something that others find easy just scares me to death.

My earliest AS memory is of yelling at the kids singing 'Happy Birthday' to me at my 5th birthday party. I just could not understand why they want to sing such a meaningless and stupid, childish song. Needless to say my parents punished me by send everyone home & me to my room. Problem solved, but I was upset at my parents being cross with me for what I saw as no reason.

Well I guess I've bored you all to sleep by now.............................

Last edited by Timberwolf on 20 Aug 2008, 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 4:27 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Aug 2008, 4:37 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image
Your story is a lot like mine.....

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 8:01 pm

Welcome, fellow traveler.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 9:13 pm

Interesting.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 10:07 pm

Hi Timberwolf welcome to the "right" planet, I was also diagnosed later in life myself with aspergers about 1 year ago... part of my journey Making Sense - last update July 2008
http://asplanet.info/index.php?option=c ... Itemid=129

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 12:28 am

yo

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 6:48 am

Nice to meet you, Timberwolf. :) 8)

Timberwolf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Aug 2008, 2:41 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome people. There are so many stories here that sound just like my own life experiences. That's something I've never experienced before and it feels like coming home after living on a different planet. Last night I just couldn't believe that it was real and it made me cry, a lot.

I know someone mentioned that reading Attwood's book 'A complete guide to Asperger's Syndrome' that it felt like their biography. When I read it I was convinced that he had been standing behind me watching for most of my life. Especially the early years and as a teenager.

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 8:40 pm

Welcome to WP! :)

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

Aquamarine_Kitty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Aug 2008, 10:09 pm

Welcome to the wrong/right planet!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 2:35 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Magliabechi
Toucan
Toucan

24 Aug 2008, 11:54 pm

Timberwolf wrote:
There are so many stories here that sound just like my own life experiences. That's something I've never experienced before

Before internet fora were developed there were no opportunities for discussion amongst significant numbers of aspies- we are spread too thinly amongst society for a community to form in 'real life'. Now it is here (here being cyberspace)!

Magliabechi.

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 6:17 am

Quote:
There are so many stories here that sound just like my own life experiences. That's something I've never experienced before

Kind of nice isn't it.
Welcome to the forums Timberwolf :)

L.