Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2004, 8:17 pm

When people watch sports on TV, do you find yourself bewildered by the fact that people yell at the TV when the team that their rooting for dosen't do something right. I've always wondered why people do this. I remember watching an episode of "Americas Funniest Home Videos" where they showed a video that won the grand prize on that episode where a guy was going into a frenzy over the fact that the LA lakers were not playing man to man defense.

I don't know if anyone here does this, so forgive me for saying this. But do they not realize that the TV is an inanimate object, and yelling at it will have no effect on an event that's taking place a great distance away?

Wowbagger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Oct 2004, 11:48 am

I don't yell, but I root inwardly for my team even though that's equally useless. Those who yell are probably accustomed to thinking aloud. It's an expression of their hope.

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2004, 12:08 pm

Yes this disturbes me to no end. I trained myself to yell and whatnot at live sports events and that was not easy, but I could never understand how I could get excited over some game on television. I had a couple of roommates a few years ago who were basketball fanatics. They would scream and get all upset, and I would go to the movies until the game was over. In addition, the sound of rubber shoes on the basketball court drives me nuts, especially on TV. I believe for some reason they amplify that sound, or maybe it's just me.

letsGoBlues
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2004, 11:12 pm

My cousin is a big Cowboys fan. He has always yelled at the TV and cuses too. When I lived in FLorida most thanksgivings he would leave the room he would always be pissed the last few years they have stunk. :D Btw Im a big Cowboys fan too. Although I never lived in Texas just my favorite players were Aikman and Smith back in the day. Since moving back to stl now I follow the Rams but dont go to their games. I follow the Cardinals and went to a game this year. I'm a diehard St. Louis Blues fan. That's one thing I was happy about when I moved back up here. Ive been to alot of games the past two seasons. It's not even worth yelling at the TV anymore when the Blues lose cause they have not won anything in their 37 years :D Everyone in St. Louis is used to the Blues losing in the first round of the playoffs that its no big deal anymore. Another thing of my ADD and maybe my Aspergers is that I've always loved the sound of the Blues foghorn and when the organ plays after goals "When the Blues go Marching in" I was so mad atwo years ago when they tried the rock version after goals it was horrible. Hundreds of fans protested and got it back.

Rakkety_Tamm
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2005, 7:29 pm

I find nothing wrong with shouting at the T.V., I mean, I do it all the time.

Chris
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jan 2005, 7:52 pm

Sports make me ill when I watch them. They seem pointless.

I yell at my TV when a character is one I can't stand or one that is about to make a stupid decision.

:star:

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2005, 8:34 pm

I've been known to yell at the telly when Saints are playing Wigan (and inexplicably managing to somehow lose to them again).... embarrassing and silly I know, but I catch myself doing it anyway :oops:

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2005, 8:46 am

I don't normally but... come on, with the Red Sox FINALLY winning the world series, how could I not? :lol:

171NewYork
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Apr 2005, 4:58 pm

I do sometimes during baseball, but not really...however, I am always rooting for the Yankees to win when I watch them play. :)