I don't support marriage PERIOD. 8%  8%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 111

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Dec 2008, 5:12 am

slowmutant wrote:
NocturnalQuilter wrote:
If you really want to SAVE MARRIAGE..........

... make divorce illegal

That's as unfair as preventing same-sex couples from marrying. How many people would be trapped in loveless and abusive marriages if divorce were illegal?

Should've thought of that before they got married. ;]

haha, I'm just kidding.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 7:50 pm

A fun little musical number on the issue.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Dec 2008, 9:51 pm

skafather84 wrote:

Oh, that's awesome! One of my favorite comedians, Margarat Cho was in that (she's bisexual) and I believe the guy in white who closed the number was Neil Patrick Harris (he's gay)

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 11:50 pm

Fidget wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
NocturnalQuilter wrote:

... make divorce illegal

That's as unfair as preventing same-sex couples from marrying. How many people would be trapped in loveless and abusive marriages if divorce were illegal?

Yes, it's a very good idea to make divorce ilegal, once they make that choice they stay with it for the rest of their lives, only death should separate what God has united.

flutter
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 6:14 am

greenblue wrote:
Fidget wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
NocturnalQuilter wrote:

... make divorce illegal

Yes, it's a very good idea to make divorce ilegal, once they make that choice they stay with it for the rest of their lives, only death should separate what God has united.

You assume a religious ceremony being involved,

It's against the rules for a catholic to get divorced, but the only penalty seems to be they won't marry you to someone else.

However, in the words of Sam Kinison (who was paraphrasing Pope JP2), "Suck the cock, ya lose the kingdom!"

A secular wedding isn't bound by the rules of religion though, and codifying private sphere morals would be a violation of church and state.

Whether you remain married for life is a personal moral decision. Remaining married is usually the morally right thing to do when children are involved, unless one partner is abusive. (f*****g around, while destructive of the relationship, does not affect the ability to raise children). If there are no children, then there is no moral obligation to remain married.

But such a policy of banning divorce would be a worse violation of seperation of church and state, and intrusion upon private sphere morality, then the current ban on gay marriage is.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 7:46 am

Quote:
However, in the words of Sam Kinison (who was paraphrasing Pope JP2), "Suck the cock, ya lose the kingdom!"

Don't throw stones if you have three chromosomes. I'm Catholic and I take offence to that.

flutter
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 7:58 am

slowmutant wrote:
Quote:

Don't throw stones if you have three chromosomes. I'm Catholic and I take offence to that.

Nice one.

But that was a direct Kinison quote..... of course it's offensive, did you ever see one of his routines?

flutter
Veteran
Veteran

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 8:04 am

flutter wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
Quote:

Nice one.

But that was a direct Kinison quote..... of course it's offensive, did you ever see one of his routines?

Whatever. I really don't like blasphemy. It's hateful to me.

flutter
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 8:14 am

quoting someone else who put catholic dogma into plain (if crass) language, and then linking to a youtube of him saying the quote... and somehow I'm the one being blasphemous?

It's a matter of public record that the scene he describes in the routine is factual. JP2 told aids victims in San Fransisco that they couldn't be saved.

countzarroff
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Dec 2008, 12:33 am

I am saying this from a Christian's point of view.

I personally don't believe gay marriage is natural. If we were meant to be gay, we wouldn't have male and female genitals. The whole concept of sex wouldn't even make sense. So I personally choose not to follow down that path.

HOWEVER, I still acknowledge the fact that this is MY subjective point of view on the matter. Somebody else's view on moral and immoral could be completely different than mine. So what the homosexual community decides to do is none of my beezwax. If I don't like it, I don't have to be a homosexual.

So I'd say, let the homosexual community marry if it wishes to. If God really has a problem with it, let him deal with it. Stay out of other people's sexual lives.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 12:36 am

Well-said.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 11:57 am

slowmutant wrote:
flutter wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
Quote:

Nice one.

what like Vikings killing Missionaries for sport sort of blasphemy?

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 12:09 pm

Kilroy wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
flutter wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
Quote:

Nice one.

what like Vikings killing Missionaries for sport sort of blasphemy?

That's not really blasphemy, but it is unpleasant.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 12:16 pm

but very funny :lol:

thats where we get angels on trees

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 12:27 pm

We get angels on trees from Vikings killing Christian missionaries for sport?