How does WrongPlanet circumvent or follow the COPPA law?

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 9:16 am

EgaoNoGenki wrote:
(Foreword: Some difficult ("hard") words have been explained ("fleshed out") for children to better understand.)

(Forward 2: This thread was in regards to any child under 13 in the "Kids' Crater" section, where it has since been moved from.)

I thought COPPA (Children's Online Privacy Protection Act) stipulated ("made it so") that any child who was going to interact ("chat"/"post"/"talk") with anyone online in public forums like these had to have a parent give consent (permission) by faxing a statement with their signature, to the site's webmaster (the "ruler," a "president" who runs a website) before the child could use the forums.

Do these kids' parents go through the same procedures ("steps") to let them intermingle (same as "interact") on WrongPlanet? If not, how does it all stay legal ("good," "okay") somehow?

The ACT, states that gathering and making use of information is regulated, and that parental permission should be sought before gathering name, address, with a full disclosure of intended use.

It was a while ago, but I think the only information I gave was an email. Wrong Planet does not gather any other information.

It is understood that there is no way to verify if a person is who they say they are on the Internet.

The Act does not limit the partisipation of children, only the gathering of information about them for private and public commercial use without parental permission.

The Act is directed at people who would gather mailing information for the purpose of marketing to children, and who might sell that mailing list. That is forbidden without parental permission.

What is restricted is making such knowledge, "publicly available in identifiable form"

It does cover Alex, "or other entity"

SEC. 1303 (2) WHEN CONSENT IS NOT REQUIRED

(E) the collection, use, or dissemination of such information by the operator of such a website or online service necessary-

(i) to protect the security or integrity of it's website;

(ii) to take precautions against liability;

(iii) to respond to judicial process; or

(iv) to the extent permitted under other provisions of law, to provide information to law enforcment agencies or for an investigation on a matter related to public safety.

To comply with these "other provisions of law" Alex must keep at least the email of all users. It is the only thing that cannot be lied about.

That burden is put upon him by law. In the event of a matter relating to public safety, the email is the only trace.

That there are children visiting this site, makes gathering and keeping such information mandatory.

Wrong Planet T shirts are not even made in child size.

The Act does not regulate the behavior of children, nothing does. Parents try.