Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 11:53 am

I do not know exactly how accurate it is, but this looks like a balanced view of the facts written by more than one person and backed up with sources:
http://www.palestinefacts.org/

Quote:
There is no one individual editor. The site has been prepared by a team of writers and editors who are knowledgable of the history, politics, economics and military situation in the Middle East, based on information compiled from the best available sources. They have developed Palestine Facts to provide much-needed factual information to everyone who may be interested in the current situation in Israel, how it evolved to today's status, and what might be reasonable policies for the future.

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 12:37 pm

A reasonable Fact simile? topic

I checked one page, and it seemed benign, but I wonder why they called it "Palestine". This is not quite a generic word. Perhaps the compilers want to encourage Palestinians to read. Words are better than a sword, though if you rearrange the letters... :roll:

There is always hope.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 12:46 pm

sartresue wrote:

Why do you do that? You always do that. Why? It completely puzzles me and things that seem to have no reason annoy me, like why do people leave light on outside their houses all night when they don't need to see anything out there. Why on every topic do you write 'A ________ topic'? I just don't understand it.

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 1:17 pm

The truth is that because of the British mandate the palestinians had to leave their homes behind. Instead of being mad at the jews however, they should be mad at the british.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 10:40 pm

People leave their lights on at night so (hopefully) the cops can see criminals trying to break in...

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 7:06 am

I'm pretty sure the Police don't randomly patrol all the streets at night and they certainly don't patrol people's back gardens!

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 5:34 pm

Greyhound wrote:
sartresue wrote:

Why do you do that? You always do that. Why? It completely puzzles me and things that seem to have no reason annoy me, like why do people leave light on outside their houses all night when they don't need to see anything out there. Why on every topic do you write 'A ________ topic'? I just don't understand it.

Enquiry: Did my previous post sound like I was having a go at sartresue?

I hope it did not. Sorry if it did; I am puzzled, and have been for a while, as to why she always does that.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 7:30 am

history_of_psychiatry wrote:
The truth is that because of the British mandate the palestinians had to leave their homes behind. Instead of being mad at the jews however, they should be mad at the british.

I don't think the Palestians can get any madder than they already are. Nor can anything redirect that insatiable bloodlust of theirs.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 1:22 pm

Israel and Palestine are a construction of over a century (actually a millenia) of carefully crafted arguments, positions, rationalizations, etc. Every possible counter, attempt at reconciliation, compromise, etc., has been completely blocked, the ultimate zero-sum equation. Taking any one aspect of either position totally commits you to one side, and totally against another.

It makes the abortion debate look like a Kumbaya meeting.

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 3:07 pm

pakled wrote:
Israel and Palestine are a construction of over a century (actually a millenia) of carefully crafted arguments, positions, rationalizations, etc. Every possible counter, attempt at reconciliation, compromise, etc., has been completely blocked, the ultimate zero-sum equation. Taking any one aspect of either position totally commits you to one side, and totally against another.

It makes the abortion debate look like a Kumbaya meeting.

well......considering that back in the O.T that Palestine just happened to get kicked around a few times by Israel and then when Israel came back to take the land after W.W.II, one can imagine the political issues that would stem from it.

However, to the person who asked why not have Palestine/Hamas be mad at Britain? I'll give you an answer, because if Britain wanted, they could just knock Palestine off the map and Israel could have full control of the area. Instead, this incessant mosquito like war that they've been waging for a few years is to the point of no use anymore. Of course the actions of this past week, I'm still for Israel. While I'm politically neutral on a lot of things, (with the exception of our next president) something like this does require more talk and action then just blowing things up.

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 6:56 pm

The funny thing is that most of the Israelis are European and most of the Palestinians are Syrian and Lebanese. The land doesn't truly belong to either of them!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 8:56 am

The funny thing is that most of the Israelis are European and most of the Palestinians are Syrian and Lebanese. The land doesn't truly belong to either of them!

The Sabras were born there. That makes them native. Also most Palestinians were born there. That makes them native. The only aboriginal humans on the planet were the first generation Asians that came to what we now call North America by way of the Siberian land bridge, maybe 30,000 years ago. There were no other humans on the continent. Likewise the first generation of Javans that emigrated to what we now call Australia.

ruveyn

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 9:04 am

Who does the land belong to, then? No one? Everyone?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 9:08 am

slowmutant wrote:

Who does the land belong to, then? No one? Everyone?

There is no ownership. There is only possession. And that is by force and it is temporary. Ownership is an artifact of a legal system. There is no international legal system because there is no World Government (thank God for that!) to formulate and enforce international law. And do not bother mentioning the U.N. It is a third world kaffe-klatch and has no Army that can enforce its will.

ruveyn