How common are meltdowns with aspies?

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ThisUserNameIsTaken
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Feb 2009, 7:58 pm

So I've seen people talking about meltdowns on this site, and after reading a couple topics about meltdowns just now it seems like a lot of people, if not everyone, has them. But the thing is I don't think I ever did. Maybe the closest I ever came was just getting really aggravated if there was a lot of people around me or a lot of noise that kept me from thinking straight, but that was never a complete loss of control just more of a "do NOT talk to me, touch me, or do anything with me right now unless you want me to blow up at you" sort of thing. Basically just feeling really stressed out.

So do some aspies not have meltdowns either?

ghfreak13579
Raven
Raven

15 Feb 2009, 8:03 pm

They are very common. I've had about anywhere from 500-1,000 meltdowns in my life.

smartguy47
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Feb 2009, 9:04 pm

It depends on the individual and the situation(s). I have never had them, but when they don't understand or cannot express themselves, it is possible. Depending on whether they are a danger to others really determines if they need or don't need medication. I think it's essential that if you have a teenager, you have him watch Law and Order and COPS so that if he gets a speeding ticket, he doesn't get himself in more trouble. It's essential that every parent go over these, since it only takes one incident to get a permanent record.

When a cop approaches your car:

1) Put your blinker on and turn to the side of the road. This means immediately.

2) Keep your mouth shut! Don't say you were speeding. It is the police officer's job to know how fast you are going. If you say you were speeding, you are going to have a very difficult time challenging it in court. Under no circumstances do you talk about the officer's equipment.

3) Don't move until the officer gives you instructions. Carefully give the officer the license and registration. Len Tillman advises you to have your hands on the steering wheel in the 10:00/2:00 position.

4) Be respectful and polite no matter how stressed out you are; the officer may be nice back to you if you do so, but it is by no means, any guarantee. For instance, we often give the impression that we need to wipe that smile off our face. If the cop is like my uncle, he'll think you're a smart alliac.

5) Don't move the car until the traffic ticket is over.

6) If in the off-case, you are asked to step out of the car, always keep your hands up and have your back to the officer. Be willing to go on the ground if necessary or to back up. Be candid and respectful and go quietly. You can always dispute it later. You can always get another shirt and pants if needed.

7) As long as you are not drunk, don't refuse the breathalyzer test. If you think you might fail the sobriety test due to balance and coordination, refuse it. The episode of Little People Big World can emphasize the problem with sobriety tests.

8) Have an AS card with you, but don't be upset if a police officer disregards it.

9) Lastly, remember that a police officer may be stressed for three reasons: 1) they are concerned about their safety, 2) they have not received a promotion and are upset about doing street-work as it is extremely stressful, and 3) they had a bad day.

10) My cousin is a cop. He does very good work and means well. Once in a while, you are going to get a rough cop.

Last edited by smartguy47 on 15 Feb 2009, 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 9:07 pm

I had one just the other day...day before yesterday in fact...

I can have up to one a week more or less...unfortunately.

I am glad my partner is incredibly patient, because many of them are directed at him.

ThisUserNameIsTaken
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Feb 2009, 9:08 pm

smartguy47 wrote:
Have an AS card with you, but don't be upset if a police officer disregards it.

What's an AS card?

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 9:10 pm

ThisUserNameIsTaken wrote:
What's an AS card?

A card that states you have Asperger's Syndrome or another Autism Spectrum condition.

regarding OP, never had meltdowns AFAIK. I have had shutdowns due to internet flamewars in the past.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 9:20 pm

In childhood: 1-5 daily. No kidding.
Teenage years: 1-3 per week, sometimes more.
Adulthood: 1-3 per month.

That's my tally, anyway. I'm rather proud of the reduction in number because it means I've been learning to cope over the years. I bet people are all over the board with that one, with some people having multiple daily meltdowns, and other people having them only a few times a year.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Aalto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Feb 2009, 9:35 pm

I've had a few moments in which I've banged a fist against the desk or sworn several times in a row, but other than that I haven't had a full-blown meltdown for over five months. I see them as very common here.

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 10:11 pm

smartguy47 wrote:
Have an AS card with you, but don't be upset if a police officer disregards it.

They don't care if you have an AS card or not and they harrass you and I'm sick of being stripped searched. I've begged them not to handcuff me.

ThisUserNameIsTaken
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Feb 2009, 10:35 pm

Warsie wrote:
What's an AS card?

A card that states you have Asperger's Syndrome or another Autism Spectrum condition.

regarding OP, never had meltdowns AFAIK. I have had shutdowns due to internet flamewars in the past.

Well I figured that was the case. Rather I was curious as to who hands it out, how you go about getting one, and if there's even a point to getting one (like is it recognized by anyone who matters or is it just some random card that you order from some interest group?).

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 10:39 pm

Meltdowns are extremely common. You are probably the only one I've ever heard of not having them.

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 10:45 pm

I tend to shut down rather than melt down most of the time. But when I was a kid, I lived about 1 mile from a major Air Force base, and when the planes would fly over my house I would cover my ears, cower, and scream. This was the closest to a meltdown I ever got until I became an adult, whereas now I do sometimes have major meltdowns over minor things. I had one a few weeks ago that got so bad my wife packed her bags and left for a while. She did come back but things haven't been the same since. That was the worst meltdown she has ever seen me have and it all started over two things: sensory issues (lights on, television volume up, dogs barking, etc) and me trying to pick up a cup that I couldn't seem to grasp. Such small things, most people wouldn't have been bothered by but all of it together set me into a rage like none other and it took me hours to settle down. After my wife left I curled up in my recliner with one of my Tony Attwood books and that comforted me back to normal within a few hours.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 10:58 pm

It depends on the aspie. For me, they are not too common, for others it is almost every day. I don't want to have one either, as when I get them they tend to be very very bad for both me and those around me.

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 11:09 pm

smartguy47 wrote:
It depends on the individual and the situation(s).

And on the stage of development - I had those severe meltdowns till the age of 14 or 15 almost in any stress situation. Then I learned to control my emotions and my reactions and I am now famous for a stoic mindset, so that almost nothing can disturb my tranquillity.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 11:14 pm

Dussel wrote:
smartguy47 wrote:
It depends on the individual and the situation(s).

And on the stage of development - I had those severe meltdowns till the age of 14 or 15 almost in any stress situation. Then I learned to control my emotions and my reactions and I am now famous for a stoic mindset, so that almost nothing can disturb my tranquillity.

Pretty much described me and my meltdowns, they still happen, but are extremely uncommon.

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 11:46 pm

I know people with more severe AS have meltdowns often and depending on your tempermant and enviroment.