24 Feb 2009, 1:15 am

Beacuse bad things hate good people!

Lumina
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 3:14 am

Must...resist...LOL...

Darn it, see what made me do. :lol:

A little birdie who took her Karma a little too seriously told me that bad things happen to good people because they were bad eggs in another nest. [/really bad egg joke]

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 3:42 am

Depends upon what you mean by bad and good.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 4:17 am

aww that Cthuluhu

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 4:23 am

Quote:
“ My ox has died and now I have no animal to help me plow my field. Isn’t this the worst thing that could have possibly happened ? ” The wise old man replied, “ Maybe so, maybe not. ” Of course, the villager was disappointed and he thought perhaps the wise man had gone mad. After all, surely that was the worst thing that could have happened to him.

The next day, however, a strong, young horse was seen near the man’s farm. He caught the animal and soon was plowing his field with gusto. He went back to the wise, old man to apologize. “ You were right, old man. Losing my ox wasn’t the worst possible thing; it was a blessing in disguise. You must agree that finding the horse was the best possible thing that could have happened. ” The old man said, “ Maybe so, maybe not. ” The farmer thought to himself, I’m certain the wise old man has gone mad.

A few days later the farmer’s son was riding the horse when he was thrown off and broke his leg. He would no longer be able to help the farmer with his crop. “ Oh no, ” the farmer said. “ Now we will surely starve to death. ” Once again he asked the wise old man, “ How did you know that finding the horse wasn’t the very best thing that could have happened ? You were right again. ”

This time, however, the farmer said, “ You must certainly agree now that my son’s injury is the worst thing that could have happened. ” Once again the wise man said, “ Maybe so, maybe not. ”

The next day troops arrived to take every able-bodied man to the war that had just broken out. The farmer’s son was the only young man in the village who didn’t have to go. He would live with the others would surely die.

That story has a powerful lesson. The truth is we don’t know what’s going to happen — we just think we do. Often we make a big deal out things when we don’t know all the facts. We tend to think about all the possible bad things that can happen to us. Certainly these are such times. I believe that as bad is it is we need to keep our cool and stay open to possibilities. I know that we can be reasonably certain that eventually, all will be well. So, in the midst of events that are so stressful to us that we think they are the worst things possible, we should remember the phrase “ Maybe so, maybe not. ” Shalom !

-Pythagoras

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 4:31 am

Why do good things happen to bad people?

ruveyn

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 4:32 am

Ive come to value things more than people because people are fickle and have self-interests that can and DO come into conflict with mine. The reality of this world is that someone who is not a friend or family member is a potential enemy. :?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 4:45 am

ruveyn wrote:
Why do good things happen to bad people?

ruveyn

Because a lot of bad people are stronger and smarter than a lot of good people. In general, the world is run by mostly people who are neither good nor bad but act in their own interests whatever that requires.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 5:03 am

Although a lot of people refer to the Bible for such answers Murphy is usually much clearer and to the point in these matters. His first law, "If anything can go wrong, it will" is based on the fact that when people try control a situation they have one beneficial outcome in mind. But any situation can proceed in a huge number of directions, only one of which is usually favorable. Chance indicates that it is usually unlikely the one positive outcome which is desired will come about. Something else happens and this very innocent alternate outcome is characterized as "bad".

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 5:42 am

I'd think the relative question is whether being "bad" is an advantage or not. In some situations, I'd say it is, but in the long run it's generally not a good strategy. I think it's a common myth that being ruthless is a huge edge in the business world, where the truth of the matter is that if you're known for being ruthless, no one will want to do business with you. I would say that extreme pacifism is a disadvantage, but then I don't consider pacifism to be a virtue, so it sort of evens out.

- Rick Sanchez

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 7:00 am

Large businesses and governments do very well being ruthless since they control markets. Look at Walmart, Microsoft, the Chinese government, etc.

Legato
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 8:03 am

[Insert moral alignment] things happen to [insert moral alignment] people because things happen, and people happen to be present when they happen.

The assertion of morality upon people and things that happen is rather laughable, seeing as we cannot possibly fathom a single person's entire life, let alone judge them from our highly subjective position.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 8:34 am

Define "good people".

There was a girl in my old class who people thought was nice, but I perceived that she was only that way because she was too weak-spirited to be any other way. I'd rather be a b***h, quite frankly.

I used to be a "good person", but bad things happened to me throughout my whole life, and I realised that nobody ever appreciates kindness so I may as well not bother. Now I'm not sure what I am on the good person/bad person continuum.

y es como un semestre"

b9
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 8:40 am

"bad" and "good" are opinions.

when someone dies, they leave behind forever what was good or bad in their lives.

Legato
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 8:41 am

There's a balance somewhere in the middle of aggressive and passive, called assertive -- which is where I try my hardest to be, while still respecting others.

But "good" and "bad" are labels constructed by humans. What we label as good\bad is different from person to person.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 8:56 am

Legato wrote:
There's a balance somewhere in the middle of aggressive and passive, called assertive -- which is where I try my hardest to be, while still respecting others.

But "good" and "bad" are labels constructed by humans. What we label as good\bad is different from person to person.

Rabbi Hilell used to say:

If I am not for myself, who will be for me?
If I am only for myself, what am I?
If not now, then when?

-- Perke Avot I:15 --

ruveyn