Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

luneth
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Mar 2009, 10:13 pm

I'm wanting to quit playing video games so I can live a normal aspie life. However, when I try to even for 10 seconds, I keep thinking I need it to survive. Can anyone please help me, PLEASE.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 2:38 am

Simple, if it is games on a PC then do the following

1. Give the CDROMs to your mum or someone else who you can trust not to give them back to you when it is in your best interests not to be playing games.

2. Delete the games by uninstalling them from the PC.

3. Defrag the disk

This will stop you playing games. I did it years ago when I wanted to give up playing doom.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

luneth
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Mar 2009, 4:20 pm

Thanks but it is for more than the pc

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 7:24 am

For your thoughts, find other alternatives...

I suggest music.

You can start listening to hip hop... Start listening to Right Round, the Number 1 song...

Or listening to Duran Duran (or any good bands like Nirvana, Wham!, Metallica and AC/DC) ... memorize all the catchy tunes and lyrics and impress your classmates.

I also suggest watching sports. I do keep track on how the Lakers fare in matches --- and understand why they always win:)

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 4:21 pm

luneth wrote:
I'm wanting to quit playing video games so I can live a normal aspie life. However, when I try to even for 10 seconds, I keep thinking I need it to survive. Can anyone please help me, PLEASE.

my idea is to dive into something similar, I had the same thing back when I was younger I needed that constant visual intake and focus in one place. But even then my tension span was small and I was needed around the house.

My solution was to start drawing, and especially concept art where your mind focuses on the details of the artworks.
Check the page to get a sense of how it looks and it really develops your imagination and environmental perception skills.

conceptart . org

(forewords: everyone sucks bad when they start drawing at first, and then you'll find your own style)

hope it helps. Don't play the games, make them. ^__^

:::)

ForgottenDarkness
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Mar 2009, 4:25 pm

delete any games off your computer.

slowly cut back on the amount of time playing your games.

eventually you will not be addicted anymore.

it is a long process.

Prosser
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 5:07 pm

Play Doom on nightmare.

z0rp
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 11:03 pm

Depends which games you're addicted to. Is the game online? Is it a first person shooter or a massively multiplayer online game? The latter being the hardest to break an addiction to from my understanding.

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Mar 2009, 6:42 am

Give the discs to someone. If they do not require discs uninstall them. Wait a month before playing them again. If they are browser based uninstall your flash player and java player.

Scorpio82
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Mar 2009, 12:06 pm

Trying setting goals for yourself. I always use Lent as a good occasion to quit bad habits, but anyone can do it anytime. Right now, my target goal is forty days without playing Urban Terror at work (among other things.)

If you find yourself going back to video games, just remind yourself that you can't play them yet until you reach a certain day. Just start right now - try for a week - and even leave a note on your machine's power button reminding you not to push it until next Tuesday. If you can pull it off, it'll be all the more sweeter.

Kimmy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Mar 2009, 9:28 am

The trick is to get something else to do. Otherwise you'll get bored and want to play video games again.
Try:
books
writing a story
gardening
go for a walk
pets
get a job
start a business

What I do to stop myself from playing on video games too much is reading and writing comic books

Keiteki
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Mar 2009, 7:17 pm

luneth wrote:

Like, lol, why would you want to quit video games? There are plenty of people that play video games, and there are people in that group that are "addicted" to it. You can find friends in that region.

Also, if you think of it like that, then I want you to first dismantle your video game systems, and put them all together into one, super system, and if you start to expereince chest pain, headaches, bleeding, etc, well that just means that you weren't exaggerating, and you should probably call 911.

But, if you're so addicted to video games, then just find something to take it's place.

NextFact
Toucan
Toucan

20 Mar 2009, 3:04 pm

what game :?:

Vasyl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Mar 2009, 9:16 pm

I've used to play games, then I abandoned them altogether. A few factors helped.

1) Harder classes, much more homework.
2) Some physics books, such as Mad About Physics (full of physics puzzles[which also helped me visualize things mentally{not to mention how much hours it took to solve them}])
3) The Colossal Book of Mathematics
4) Ehh, not too proud... myspace.
5) Sucky new laptop.
6) Wikipedia

AWESOME! 8)

thedaywalker
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 1:39 pm

play an instrument

mmstick
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Mar 2009, 1:14 am

Whats the point in getting rid of video games?
They have been a benefit to society.
They have always relieved every bit of my stress.
Without them I would of had an even worse mental breakdown because of school.