Page 1 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 7:12 am

Today's Vista rant:

Windows update has decided I MUST download junk mail filters for Microsoft Outlook. Thing is I don't even have Outlook installed on the computer. I use Thunderbird for email anyway. Vista keeps harassing me now to download the unwanted useless update. I'm left with no choice but to let it do it because there is no option on Windows update for Vista to turn off any updates it flags as important. God knows what it will do with the update anyway after downloading it. Since I'm stuck with dial-up internet access here in the middle of nowhere downloads are sometimes like drinking a reservoir through a straw.

I hate Vista. :evil:

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 7:58 am

I hate Vista too.

'nuff said.

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 8:28 am

I hate Vista, too. I had to go back to XP on one of my computers - but now I'm all used to Vista so XP seems ret*d now.

F-ing 7 better work. :evil:

Plus - my husband is a software salesguy and his company and the developers are getting killed by Vista.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 10:09 am

I got a new computer, and my first thought was to wipe Vista off the hard drive.
But I couldn't find my copy of XP, so now I'm stuck.
Vista is stupid.

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 2:47 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Today's Vista rant:

Windows update has decided I MUST download junk mail filters for Microsoft Outlook. Thing is I don't even have Outlook installed on the computer. I use Thunderbird for email anyway. Vista keeps harassing me now to download the unwanted useless update. I'm left with no choice but to let it do it because there is no option on Windows update for Vista to turn off any updates it flags as important. God knows what it will do with the update anyway after downloading it. Since I'm stuck with dial-up internet access here in the middle of nowhere downloads are sometimes like drinking a reservoir through a straw.

I hate Vista. :evil:

No, you just dont know how to use it!! ! Everyone is quick to blame all there problems on vista, when it is most likely the person that is the problem. I am not a supporter of MS, I just have to listen to everyone complain about it. I never have a problem with it and I have it on 3 of my computers.
Anyway, the problem would be with windows update, and the solution would be to block the update, very easy to do. All you have to do is right click, and click the hide update button. It took you longer to complain about vista then it would have taken to solve the problem. Hide the update and you wont have to worry about it.

Plus the update is probably not useless, and is probably for windows mail, that is on your computer. Even that it might say outlook, probably for windows mail, and is not going to screw up your computer to install it.

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 3:03 pm

[quote="roadracer"]

I actually like Vista! It sucks going back to XP.

It's the compatability issue that keeps killing me. And its a huge customer support problem for third parties and hardware companies.

I wonder why Microsoft let it all spin out of control - PR-wise - to allow the world go anti-Vista and scare companies just enough to hold back from upgrading. Especially with the economy where companies are just looking for reasons NOT to spend money. It's - as we say in the biz - a show-stopper. (I hate that term.)

I guess I just expect better from Microsoft - in managing their brand and the rumor mill. Instead, they got spooked, surrendered then cut back on engineering and sunk it into 7. Big shot IT buyers follow all of this.

So - rather than sayin all that, I say, "I hate vista!" :wall: :doh: But I love Microsoft. :heart:

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 3:05 pm

[quote="roadracer"]

I actually like Vista! It sucks going back to XP.

It's the compatability issue that keeps killing me. And its a huge customer support problem for third parties and hardware companies.

I wonder why Microsoft let it all spin out of control - PR-wise - to allow the world go anti-Vista and scare companies just enough to hold back from upgrading. Especially with the economy where companies are just looking for reasons NOT to spend money. It's - as we say in the biz - a show-stopper. (I hate that term.)

I guess I just expect better from Microsoft - in managing their brand and the rumor mill. Instead, they got spooked, surrendered then cut back on engineering and sunk it into 7. Big shot IT buyers follow all of this.

So - rather than sayin all that, I say, "I hate vista!" :wall: :doh: But I love Microsoft. :heart:

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 3:36 pm

roadracer wrote:
No, you just dont know how to use it!! ! Everyone is quick to blame all there problems on vista, when it is most likely the person that is the problem. I am not a supporter of MS, I just have to listen to everyone complain about it. I never have a problem with it and I have it on 3 of my computers.

As far as I can tell, it is not possible for 32-bit Vista to run fast. The thing is disgustingly bloated. I have more RAM than Vista 32-bit can even use, and it still runs slow. On top of that, the UI is not even remotely intuitive. GNOME is much more logically laid-out, as is KDE. Even the Mac OS X interface is simpler to navigate. You haven't had any problems? You're lucky. My Vista spent 45 minutes installing a printer driver that comes by default in OS X and take ~3-4 seconds to install (automatically) in Ubuntu.

Quote:
Anyway, the problem would be with windows update, and the solution would be to block the update, very easy to do. All you have to do is right click, and click the hide update button. It took you longer to complain about vista then it would have taken to solve the problem. Hide the update and you wont have to worry about it.

The windows update thing is obnoxious and overly obtrusive.

Quote:
Plus the update is probably not useless, and is probably for windows mail, that is on your computer. Even that it might say outlook, probably for windows mail, and is not going to screw up your computer to install it.

But he uses Thunderbird, a third-party, cross-platform e-mail client from Mozilla. There is no need to waste his bandwidth (on a slow internet connection) on updates for programs he doesn't use.

Vista is garbage. I can say with confidence that it is the worst operating system in widespread use today. XP was probably the best product MS ever made, and it is light, fast, stable, mature, and relatively compatible. But XP is almost 8 years old now. It can't stay forever. For most of my daily use, I don't use operating systems more than 6 months old. We'll see how 7 turns out, but it certainly is not going to be as light and fast as XP or GNU/Linux. It probably won't even be as fast as Snow Leopard, the next incarnation of OS X.

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 6:57 pm

Orwell wrote:
roadracer wrote:

As far as I can tell, it is not possible for 32-bit Vista to run fast. The thing is disgustingly bloated. I have more RAM than Vista 32-bit can even use, and it still runs slow. On top of that, the UI is not even remotely intuitive. GNOME is much more logically laid-out, as is KDE. Even the Mac OS X interface is simpler to navigate. You haven't had any problems? You're lucky. My Vista spent 45 minutes installing a printer driver that comes by default in OS X and take ~3-4 seconds to install (automatically) in Ubuntu.

Quote:

The windows update thing is obnoxious and overly obtrusive.

Quote:

But he uses Thunderbird, a third-party, cross-platform e-mail client from Mozilla. There is no need to waste his bandwidth (on a slow internet connection) on updates for programs he doesn't use.

Vista is garbage. I can say with confidence that it is the worst operating system in widespread use today. XP was probably the best product MS ever made, and it is light, fast, stable, mature, and relatively compatible. But XP is almost 8 years old now. It can't stay forever. For most of my daily use, I don't use operating systems more than 6 months old. We'll see how 7 turns out, but it certainly is not going to be as light and fast as XP or GNU/Linux. It probably won't even be as fast as Snow Leopard, the next incarnation of OS X.

My point was, it is one thing not to like it, I am not saying it is the greatest os, but it is another thing for everyone to jump on the band wagon and complain about it when the problem is that they dont know how to use it, rather then it is a problem with the os. Do you get what I am saying?
Everyone can bash it all they want, but if all the problems they are having is because they dont know how to use it, does that make it a bad OS? I work on computers to make some extra money, 99% of the people that bring me a computer with vista, say about how vista is junk, and about all the problems they have with it. Then I fix the problems that are not caused by vista, but peoples lack of computer knowledge. All most all the time I hear people complain about it, they are complaining about a feature that can be easly turned off. Your complaining about vista update, but saying xp works so much better. They use the same freaken update system? You can configure the update to do what you want, the same way I can configure my linux OS's
Sorry, but this just drives me crazy.
Every OS has its pros and cons, and they all have flaws. I use linux just as much as Vista and xp, I wouldnt say one is any better then the other, because they all have there uses.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 7:05 pm

roadracer wrote:
My point was, it is one thing not to like it, I am not saying it is the greatest os, but it is another thing for everyone to jump on the band wagon and complain about it when the problem is that they dont know how to use it, rather then it is a problem with the os. Do you get what I am saying?
Everyone can bash it all they want, but if all the problems they are having is because they dont know how to use it, does that make it a bad OS? I work on computers to make some extra money, 99% of the people that bring me a computer with vista, say about how vista is junk, and about all the problems they have with it. Then I fix the problems that are not caused by vista, but peoples lack of computer knowledge. All most all the time I hear people complain about it, they are complaining about a feature that can be easly turned off. Your complaining about vista update, but saying xp works so much better. They use the same freaken update system? You can configure the update to do what you want, the same way I can configure my linux OS's
Sorry, but this just drives me crazy.

OK, so some of the settings can be changed. It's still a hassle to have to turn off so much crap, such as UAC and all the rest. Plus the damn thing is too slow to make fiddling with everything tolerable. I try to look around in Vista and fairly quickly give up and boot up in a real OS so my computer will actually run fast. XP is not my favorite system, and yes, its update process is annoying, but it didn't seem as obtrusive as Vista's, which has on occasion forcibly shut down my computer while I was using it because it felt like updating (and yes, I know I can change this behavior, but it shouldn't do stuff like that by default). Microsoft shouldn't make an OS so unintuitive that no one knows how to use it, and many of the problems really are due to Vista's crappy design.

Oh, and MS Office has random, sporadic crashes if you have an HP printer set as your default printer. The solution that MS provides: rather than making decent, stable software, they say to just not have that as your default printer and manually select it every time you want to print.

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 7:42 pm

I agree with everyone that vista has its flaws
I just have to get something off my mind,

I don't like oreo cookies because they are not chocolaty enough. I like the cheap store brand because they are more chocolaty. I am telling everyone never to buy anything from oreo because I don't like there cookies, oreo really screwed them up. I am so mad because oreo should update there product for me. The guy next door says if I don't like oreo cookies then I should just buy a different brand, he thinks I am crazy for putting so much thought into my hatred for oreo and how they are out to screw me.

Sorry everyone, I just dont understand, if you have so much hatred for a product then why do you continue to buy it? People complained about xp when it came out, about how MS screwed it up, then they went out and bought vista, and complain about it, then next they will go out and buy 7 and complain about that, no matter what MS fixes, everyone will still complain about it. So my question is why do people buy it? I bought vista knowing it was not going to do magic tricks, and I got what I expected. I downloaded ubuntu knowing the same thing. So I use my vista for photoshop CS4 and playing games, also use xp for playing some games, and I use ubuntu for surfing the internet.....
My rant is over, I will let everyone pick my comments apart now, and bend my words around to say things I didnt :D

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 7:48 pm

roadracer wrote:
I agree with everyone that vista has its flaws
I just have to get something off my mind,

I don't like oreo cookies because they are not chocolaty enough. I like the cheap store brand because they are more chocolaty. I am telling everyone never to buy anything from oreo because I don't like there cookies, oreo really screwed them up. I am so mad because oreo should update there product for me. The guy next door says if I don't like oreo cookies then I should just buy a different brand, he thinks I am crazy for putting so much thought into my hatred for oreo and how they are out to screw me.

Sorry everyone, I just dont understand, if you have so much hatred for a product then why do you continue to buy it? People complained about xp when it came out, about how MS screwed it up, then they went out and bought vista, and complain about it, then next they will go out and buy 7 and complain about that, no matter what MS fixes, everyone will still complain about it. So my question is why do people buy it? I bought vista knowing it was not going to do magic tricks, and I got what I expected. I downloaded ubuntu knowing the same thing. So I use my vista for photoshop CS4 and playing games, also use xp for playing some games, and I use ubuntu for surfing the internet.....
My rant is over, I will let everyone pick my comments apart now, and bend my words around to say things I didnt :D

I LOVE Vista! Can I have one of your cookies?

Psssst...are you an msce?

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 8:06 pm

MmeLePen wrote:
I LOVE Vista! Can I have one of your cookies?

Psssst...are you an msce?

Will these do, they are the only cookies I could find
msce, no

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 8:48 pm

roadracer wrote:

If oreo sued the manufacturers of the ingredients of chocolate chip cookies because it couldn't stand the competition, you might not like them so much. Especially if you baked your own cookies and didn't like oreos to begin with.

Quote:
Sorry everyone, I just dont understand, if you have so much hatred for a product then why do you continue to buy it?

Many of us don't continue to buy it. And most who do are actually buying a computer, it just happens to have a crappy OS pre-loaded.

Quote:
So my question is why do people buy it?

Because it came pre-loaded on every computer in the store. Because it was what they used on their last computer. Because they don't know there are any alternatives. Because they actually know so little about computers that they can't tell one OS from another. Because the software they wanted to run is written specifically for windows. Because their corporate IT department mandates it's use on all computers in the business. Because they run a gaming machine, and they don't want to mess with WINE.

None of these reasons have anything to do with the technical capabilities or user-friendliness of the OS, or lack thereof.

Quote:
I bought vista knowing it was not going to do magic tricks, and I got what I expected.

Expecting magic tricks is expecting too much. But an automatic update system that is at least intelligent enough to only download and install updates to software that is actually present on the machine is not expecting too much. My current Linux system does this, and without irritating periodic reminders. It might be semi-excusable if automatic updates were a new feature, but they've been around for years.

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 1:04 am

Quote:
If oreo sued the manufacturers of the ingredients of chocolate chip cookies because it couldn't stand the competition, you might not like them so much. Especially if you baked your own cookies and didn't like oreos to begin with.

:scratch: I dont have a clue what your talking about? are you asking for a cookie also, here you go

Quote:
My current Linux system does this, and without irritating periodic reminders

Well then why dont you turn the "irritating periodic reminders" off :shrug:
You prove my point, the majority of people complain about it just because they dont know how to use it. You said that in explaining why people buy vista, because they are clueless, they are clueless on how to use it, so they are the first to jump on the bandwagon, saying they have all these problems with it, when really it is just them that doesnt know how to use a computer, this makes up the majority.
I really dont care who likes what os, for whatever reason, I just dont understand why people spend so much time thinking about it and bashing it. It is like MS did something to make it very personal. MS didnt force anyone to buy or use there OS. It is like TV, my parents spend lots of time complaining about what is on TV, that dam reality TV they say. I dont like what is on TV, so I dont watch TV, instead of spending all my time fliping threw the channels and complaining about it. Those are the same type of people who spend all there time complaining about vista? Just imagine what all these people could get done, if they didnt spend all the time thinking about the small dumb things, heck, they might even be able to design a new OS? MS is just laghing at all the people who dont like them, because they are swimming in the :money: they could churn out a paper weight of a OS and people would still buy it, :money:

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 1:24 am

roadracer wrote:
MS didnt force anyone to buy or use there OS.

You mean MS hasn't employed a number of extremely underhanded businesses tactics to ensure near-universal adoption of their OS?

What's the weather like in your universe?

Anyways, my problems with Vista are more along the lines of it being slow and often sucking at compatibility. That is not a matter of me not knowing how to use the OS, that is a matter of the OS being complete garbage. Besides, having crappy default settings is a valid complaint. Why would you make an OS default to such absurd behavior?