Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

CDRhom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2005, 10:54 am

New Year's celebrations are recorded as far back as 4,000 years ago in ancient Babylon.

As is customary, you may feel free to announce your resoultions publically here so that we might all support you in your goals.

My resolution for 2006: Reduce my debt to income ratio.

The Babylonians' most popular resolution? To return borrowed farm equipment.

A thing to learn from the Babylonians about goal-setting is to keep it simple. Real change takes time, commitment, courage, and maybe even a scoop of Peppermint ice cream.

With that in mind, I've put together a few key New Year's Resolutions Dos and Don'ts. Good luck-and Happy New Year!

Do:
Keep it Real
Setting an impossible goal sets you up for disappointment. If you're taking a killer course load, for instance, this may not be the semester to suddenly decide "I will get straight A's." Resolutions are meant to be challenging, but not unattainable. Stay real, and you're more likely to be successful.

Be Specific
"I'm going to be nicer" is a nice idea, but a weak resolution. Find something concrete and measurable, like "I will say 'Good morning' to my roommate every day, even if I haven't had coffee yet." The trick is to be able to monitor your progress.

Break It Down
You need a plan of attack. Break the goal down into sub tasks and let the completion of each sub-task be cause for celebration of coming closer to meeting your goal. Take it one step at a time, remember to reward your self, and you'll reach your goal.

Share the Love
Confide in someone you trust (or us). Or try writing your resolutions down and sticking them on your refrigerator, above your desk, anywhere you're forced to see them daily. It's harder to lose sight of what you want to achieve when you have a friend rooting for you-or a constant reminder of your goals in sight.

Don't:
Get Greedy
So you want to exercise more-and get straight A's, and sleep more, and learn Swahili. Try to tackle all that at once, and you'll end up cracking up. There are limits to what even the most talented and hard-working person can do. So decide what matters most. Focus on that, and forget the rest for now. (Thanks to my partner for this tip)

Give Up
Everyone-and we mean everyone-stumbles now and then. When it happens to you, don't throw in the towel. Recognize what went wrong, then try a different tactic tomorrow. Success doesn't mean never faltering-it means not giving up when you do.

Forget to Laugh
Just because you're serious about reaching your goals doesn't mean you have to take yourself seriously all the time. Whatever matters to you most be it global warming, better friendships, or finding the perfect cheese fries, you should give it your best effort. Just remember to maintain perspective. That includes laughing now and then at yourself, if necessary.

Care What Others Think
So what if everyone else's goal is to lose 10 pounds? If you'd rather spend your time writing for the paper than running around a track, go for it. Doing your own thing can be a good thing. You'll get plenty of exercise anyway running around trying to land a scoop.

Best Wishes!

Larval
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2005, 11:53 am

Or, be like me, and resist tradition....

No new years resolution for this human.....

jennyfreckles
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Dec 2005, 7:53 pm

i gave up superstitions a few years ago it worked well i never listen to any now. my resolutions for next year will be 1. reduce the ammount of coffee i drink 2. cut down smoking with a view to stopping altogether. i think it would be a mistake to try completely stopping straight away as i will fail and feel miserable about it.

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2005, 10:50 pm

you're right, i need to be smart and set realistic goals, otherwise i'm going to have low self esteem when i fail. therefore, for 2006, i resolve to:

* give up smoking
* give up prostitution
* give up seal clubbing
* give up whaling
* give up punching random people on the street
* give up poking hot coals up my nose
* give up making normal resolutions

well, at this stage, i'm all set to have a fantastic year.

At this point in my life i'd just like to be free and easy.

Merry New Year Eve everybody and a Happy... New Year's... Day!! !

CDRhom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jan 2006, 1:29 am

What will you submit as abnormal resolutions?

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2006, 8:38 am

If I set my standards amazingly low, when I fail, I won't feel as bad.

Kids, self confidence is important! Write that down on your hand so you remember for later on.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2006, 11:11 am

From this moment this year till this moment 2007, I shall not have one single solitary cigarette.

((I've gone nineteen years, what's one more?))

Last edited by Serissa on 04 Jan 2006, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

earthmonkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jan 2006, 2:00 pm

I want to...

1) Complete two or three of my novels
2) stop letting my boredom with high school classes interfere with doing the work in a timely fashion
3) learn introductory number theory topics

--G. K. Chesterton, The Aristocrat

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2006, 2:25 pm

My resolutions:

1. get good grades for the coming year
2. stay as stress-free as possible
3. do an internship this summer some place pleasant and interesting

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2006, 4:33 pm

short term:
to know at all times where is the remote

long term:
to be able to find the thing i just put down

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

CDRhom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2006, 11:08 am

My partner needs to learn from your fine example Neuroman.

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2006, 6:20 am

Good tips! My goal is to learn time management, as a path to other goals. Now I just have to tear myself away from this forum ... and other forums ... for now :lol:

post-ante
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jan 2006, 10:23 am

My two New Year's Resolutions are to subscribe to the Mirror and to buy a National Lottery ticket every Wednesday and Saturday. I'm in it to win it. I've realised supporting the National Lottery is vital, though, especially since I've learned just how much they really do for charities.