Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fort56
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Apr 2009, 10:12 am

Is there a higher percentage of transgender with people with AS?

Jamin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Apr 2009, 11:01 am

Cannot figure why that might be the case...why would it be so?

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 11:24 am

I think AS is the cause of my man-boobs. I always thought it was all the fried foods I eat, but I think it's really AS.

By the way, I'm being sarcastic. Just joking around ... but in reality I don't see how there could be any connection.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 11:34 am

Actually, it does seem to me that there is a heigher rate of sexual 'abnormailities' among the people on this site. It may be due to the fact that we are not as influenced by social 'norms' as most people and we don't have the built-in instincts that most people have. I know that many people on this site have mentioned feeling genderless and there are several who feel the oposite gender than what they appear physically. In addition there are many asexuals, crossdressers, and ect everything else you can imagine!! I think the sexually 'normal' may actually be a minority on this site. Or maybe I just run in that circle here ;)

I myself do not feel particularly 'female' and I wouldn't have any problem with a cross-dressing boyfriend. That in itself is rather unusual, I believe.

*shrug*

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 11:44 am

mitharatowen wrote:
Actually, it does seem to me that there is a heigher rate of sexual 'abnormailities' among the people on this site.

WTF???

Where are you seeing this?

and a higher rate than what - the rest of the Internet? The World?

It wouldn't be the first time I missed some social interaction right under my nose, but I have no idea where you're gleaning this perception...it's invisible to me...

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 11:55 am

mitharatowen wrote:
Actually, it does seem to me that there is a heigher rate of sexual 'abnormailities' among the people on this site. It may be due to the fact that we are not as influenced by social 'norms' as most people and we don't have the built-in instincts that most people have. I know that many people on this site have mentioned feeling genderless and there are several who feel the oposite gender than what they appear physically. In addition there are many asexuals, crossdressers, and ect everything else you can imagine!! I think the sexually 'normal' may actually be a minority on this site. Or maybe I just run in that circle here ;)

I think people with AS need to be very careful about sexual identity issues. If you grow up feeling "disconnected" from "normal" society, it would be easy to mistake the way AS affects your ability to process emotion as an indication that you are homosexual, bisexual, transgendered, etc. You feel out of place so you aren't heterosexual, which isn't a correct logic process.

If anything, I'd expect people with AS to have issues with sexuality more along the lines of frustration or confusion between what they might desire physically and want (or be able to cope with) emotionally.

Confusion about knowing yourself can lead to harmful experimentation in an effort to find answers.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 11:57 am

You just don't see many cases of asexuality or gender identity disorders in the real world or on just a regular discussion forum. Whatever, I could be wrong. *shrug*

zee
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 11:59 am

deleted

mechanima
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 12:14 pm

I know a lot of T-girls (it has something to do with being the same dress size) and they are apt to use expressions like "All the T-girls I know who have AS"...that suggests transgendered Aspies are pretty common.

It could be that there is a connection, it could be that having AS as well makes it easier to accept transgender and actually DO something about it, or it could be a little of both.

M.

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 1:40 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
I think people with AS need to be very careful about sexual identity issues. If you grow up feeling "disconnected" from "normal" society, it would be easy to mistake the way AS affects your ability to process emotion as an indication that you are homosexual, bisexual, transgendered, etc. You feel out of place so you aren't heterosexual, which isn't a correct logic process.

I agree with this regarding transgender issues. Although I don't wish to transition (because I wouldn't feel any more comfortable living as a male) I feel slightly ill at ease as a female. I feel very psychologically uncomfortable when forced to take on specifically female-only roles; some feminine clothing makes me feel as if I'm a man crossdressing. However, I believe the reason in my case is not due to a genuine, seperate gender dysphoria, but stems from AS in that I have a particular problem relating to other (NT) women. I share few to none of their interests. I can't even understand their ways of thinking much of the time. Things that seem to be so much a part of life to most of them just aren't important to me. This inability to relate to and connect with other women has led me to feel as if I'm not one of them; as if I'm something 'other'.

turborocker5000
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Apr 2009, 2:11 pm

Speaking from experience I can offer a suggestion for the reasons why a number of aspies may be transgender. From the ages of 13 to 17, I wanted to be a boy. I saw psychiatrists and everything in that time and I became a boy.. I changed my name to Jason.... everything.

Having been diagnosed with asperger's, that episode in my life where I thought I was a boy now makes perfect sense. Put simply, I cannot relate to women... not one bit... at least not back in my early teens... so I wanted to become a boy... a man.

It's interesting, if you read Tony Attwood's book, it talks about gender issues and the issue of being able to relate.

So, I don't know what the statistics are.. or occurence rates of transsexuality amoung aspies... but what I can say is that Transsexuality+ Asperger's Syndrome= perfect sense.

Charlie

27 Apr 2009, 3:05 pm

Hovis wrote:
However, I believe the reason in my case is not due to a genuine, seperate gender dysphoria, but stems from AS in that I have a particular problem relating to other (NT) women. I share few to none of their interests. I can't even understand their ways of thinking much of the time. Things that seem to be so much a part of life to most of them just aren't important to me. This inability to relate to and connect with other women has led me to feel as if I'm not one of them; as if I'm something 'other'.

Similar to Hovis, I have a problem relating to NT guys. I'm male, but some of my activities that I participate in are those more commonly associated with females, such as dance and shopping. When it comes to clothing, I am obsessed with female fashion trends, however I do wear men's clothing most of the time. Just that I do enjoy wearing girls jeans, the fit and feel of them are more comfortable for me. Unlike most aspies I prefer my clothing to me more soft, cuddly, close fitting, and stretchy.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 5:35 pm

sbcmetroguy wrote:
I think AS is the cause of my man-boobs. I always thought it was all the fried foods I eat, but I think it's really AS.

By the way, I'm being sarcastic. Just joking around ... but in reality I don't see how there could be any connection.

Well, I WAS concerned when I was younger, and my chest grew out somewhat, but it turns out that that apparently is EXPECTED with adolescent males. Because I was concerned, and overwieght, it was more obvious, Many claim men also have NIPPLES, but I DON'T. My areolas are about as pristine as when I was 5! BTW I am MORE overweight now, and they are smaller in proportion. ALSO, nobody ever mentioned it.

There is actually an enzyme that converts testosterone to a type of estrogen. THAT is why some bodybuilders get gynecomastia. Obviously, when males get that big surge of testosterone, things can overreact a bit. It is ironic that I was concerned, but most apparently have it worse. Oh well, some take steroids, and actually end up having OPERATIONS to remove the breast tissue.

ALSO, fat and some grease DOES increase estrogen. So PLEASE don't blame AS. I DOUBT AS encourages transgenderism, etc....

As for TESTs, they SHOULD have you see a psychiatrist, and try to LIVE as the other gender, then take hormones and try to actually PASS, and THEN start talking about surgery. And even some CLAIMING that they want to be transgender don't REALLY want to be the other sex, like that idiot that CLAIMS to be a male, and uses that to say get on the news for being pregnant, etc.... She goes off the hormones for a while, has therapy, and gets inseminated. So she certainly ISN'T a pregnant male. Somehow, I doubt she'll EVER have the operation, which would make it so she couldn't even produce any ova, let alone carry a child.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 5:45 pm

Jutty wrote:
Hovis wrote:
However, I believe the reason in my case is not due to a genuine, seperate gender dysphoria, but stems from AS in that I have a particular problem relating to other (NT) women. I share few to none of their interests. I can't even understand their ways of thinking much of the time. Things that seem to be so much a part of life to most of them just aren't important to me. This inability to relate to and connect with other women has led me to feel as if I'm not one of them; as if I'm something 'other'.

Similar to Hovis, I have a problem relating to NT guys. I'm male, but some of my activities that I participate in are those more commonly associated with females, such as dance and shopping. When it comes to clothing, I am obsessed with female fashion trends, however I do wear men's clothing most of the time. Just that I do enjoy wearing girls jeans, the fit and feel of them are more comfortable for me. Unlike most aspies I prefer my clothing to me more soft, cuddly, close fitting, and stretchy.

Well, I have a problem relating to NT guys(regarding sports, some agression, etc...), I'm male, slow dances are nice, and I go shopping at least as much as the average guy(I live alone, so I basically have to, and it is a way to basically get out). That's where we part ways. As for wearing female jeans, maybe you like the fit better. As for "soft and cuddly", who could fault that?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 7:15 am

I'm glad my view wasn't too controversial.

We define being a "man" or "woman" by how we fit in with what society defines for those genders.

Having AS, "fitting in" is a major shortcoming in our lives. I never felt like a "man" because I never could relate to other men. This really made me feel emasculated because I wasn't into "manly" things. I wasn't into "girly" things, but I just had no interest in what a boy/man supposedly should be interested in. Naturally, I questioned my sexual identity because I failed to live up to the standards society generally expects of a "man."

Well, I am a "man." I'm a man with AS, and although I think women have it better on many levels, I really have no desire to change my gender, nor do I think being a woman would make my life any better.

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 9:22 am

From a strictly scientific standpoint, from what little is known about transsexuals is that it is an inproper engendering of the brain, where the mind does not match the physical sex. It is theorized this is because of improper balances of hormones or improper allignment of hormone receptors in the brain. The two coralations with transsexuals that they do know exist is Aspergers and Disorders of Sexual Development (intersex syndromes). Taking that ASDs come from Neurologically Atypical Brain development, it is not that surprising if atypical gender identity is present. The truth is much about those who transition suggest more a developmental disorder than a behavioral disorder.