Yes 47%  47%  [ 8 ]
No 41%  41%  [ 7 ]
Partally 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 17

Emmett
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 May 2009, 7:32 am

I'm going to throw out an idea here, no doubt other people have had it but with the new Star Trek movie out it's even more evident than before.

Vulcans are Aspies

I think Gene Roddenberry knew an aspie who was very much into logic and developed Spock and therefore other Vulcans from that. I would love to ask him but he's unfortunately passed on. I wonder if Magel or Lenard Nemoy ever discussed this with him?

CambridgeSuperman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 May 2009, 8:08 am

lolz

I posted almost the IDENTICAL post a couple of weeks back

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt97084.html

great minds think alike!

and of course i voted yes, for sure. along with DATA in TNG and Seven and the holographic doctor in Voyager. They are all at the very least metaphors for people like us. Afterall, the writers probably recognised that a larger proportion of hardcore trekkies were themselves autistic and therefore need characters they could relate to.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2009, 11:12 am

Startrek, created by Roddenberry in the 1960s.
Asperger became an official diagnose in the 1990s.

So, in my case, i just had to vote No.

(Perhaps Auties which have been known for longer, but not Aspies because of the above observation).

innermusic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 May 2009, 11:45 am

very logical

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2009, 11:54 am

Ichinin wrote:
Startrek, created by Roddenberry in the 1960s.
Asperger became an official diagnose in the 1990s.

So, in my case, i just had to vote No.

(Perhaps Auties which have been known for longer, but not Aspies because of the above observation).

Yeah but anyway Roddenberry could have known an aspie, though there was no name for it, and created the Vulcans after that example. :idea:

BTW I didn't vote, as I haven't seen the movie.

Emmett
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 May 2009, 12:00 pm

AnnePande wrote:
Yeah but anyway Roddenberry could have known an aspie, though there was no name for it, and created the Vulcans after that example. :idea:
Exactly, he probably had a friend that was a bit unusual and modeled the Vulcans after him (or possibly her)

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2009, 12:05 pm

partally? partially**

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2009, 12:20 pm

I think he was just making them as alien as he knew how. It's just a coincidence that people with AS feel about the same way as they do.

By the way, I haven't seen the new Star Trek movie because from the previews it looks like just another Hollywood action movie. Looks more like an action movie than a sci-fi movie, and I have always been bored by action movies. My question to those of you who have seen it, does this new movie do Star Trek justice?

mikemmlj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 May 2009, 12:44 pm

Of course everyone knows that Deep Space 9 was the best Start Trek series ever. I follow the Prophets in all things.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2009, 4:32 pm

Dammit Jim! I'm an exobiologist, not a chiropractor.

ruveyn

grinningcat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 May 2009, 5:44 pm

sbcmetroguy wrote:
I think he was just making them as alien as he knew how. It's just a coincidence that people with AS feel about the same way as they do.

By the way, I haven't seen the new Star Trek movie because from the previews it looks like just another Hollywood action movie. Looks more like an action movie than a sci-fi movie, and I have always been bored by action movies. My question to those of you who have seen it, does this new movie do Star Trek justice?

I just saw it. :D I am a long time trekker and I loved it :heart: The way they did it, was kind of interesting - its new without betraying the core feeling of what Trek is. I found it funny, touching, paid homage to TOS without being sickening about it and I swear, there were a couple of times where I had to remind myself that young Kirk wasn't Shatner or that the young Spock wasn't Nimoy. McCoy was spot on. There are a few things I would change, it took me awhile to figure out that the bad guys were romulans - they didn't look like quite right. The bridge of the Enterprise is more sophisticated than TOS. Chekov was not "quite" right. Lots of action, and is fast paced so if that isn't what you are into you might not like it. To me it was worth the money, and I think it is worth seeing on the big screen.

My only big complaint today was the person sitting behind me, or at least their child. I hear a voice in the darkness say "...so, Star Wars, that is the one with Kirk?" Auuuugh! Obviously it was the parents who were the fans, LOL! That family moved, thankfully, I wasn't looking forward to the kids demanding to know what was going on all the time. Otherwise, I was ready to back into that theatre and watch it again, and I never feel that way about a movie :D

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2009, 6:11 pm

I saw a documentary where Nimoy, in part, spoke about the development of the vulcans. HE is the one that came up with the salute and blessing, even though it really IS a modified version of the arronic blessing.

ARRONIC, both hands palm down, slightly forward, and basically saying "May the lord keep you and bless you, etc...." Roughly translated, "Live long and prosper".

VULCAN, one hand, palm forward, Roughly translated, "Live long and prosper". After all, they NORMALLY speak VULCAN!

In BOTH cases, the palm is formed the same way. OH YEAH, Nimoy made a similar observation, and he is Jewish.

Anyway, the Vulcans strive to be like that to avoid their nasty past. They are rumored to have close familial ties with the romulans. The Most distinctive difference in the races is the emotion and personality that springs from it.

Still, YEAH, I was very much like the vulcans were portrayed, without the indecision, or paan far.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2009, 11:00 pm

Vulcans forcefully suppress their emotions for the simple reason that they're too damn insane when they don't; they're of the all or nothing make.

A lack of emotional depth is only one aspect of AS and its related disorders (however, some people with an ASD can have too much emotional ability); all of the Vulcans I've seen have had normal social reciprocity and nonverbal cues (showing and understanding). They also aren't as obsessed over that one thing....

Albeit, in the final episode of Voyager (I think it's the final), where Tuvok presents with a degenerative mental/neurological disorder, which is very much like an ASD; ignoring people at the expense of his interest, needing a strict routine, unable to function "normally", and etcetera.