WrongPlanet.net
WP Members: > 80,000



Aspie Affection

New Today: 11
New Yesterday: 24

Taking things to personally/literally
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> General Autism Discussion     
Jacs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus


Joined: Jun 25, 2010
Posts: 340
Location: The Wood between the Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Taking things to personally/literally Reply with quote

I have a very hard time with this and tend to get upset very easily.

For example tend to get very upset if someone talk it me in a cross manner (or in a manner I perceive to be cross). Half the time i get told Iíve simply Ďmisunderstood their toneí and the other half that they are probably just 'having a bad day'.

I guess itís an example of my very black and white thinking but to me if someone talks to me in a cross voice then they are cross with me and I have a right to be upset if I've done nothing wrong!

Thatís just one example but does anyone else have the same problem?
_________________
Dylexia, Dyspraxia, Anxiety, Depression and possible Aspergers ... that is all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Skepkat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay


Joined: Jan 09, 2011
Posts: 89

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Though the severity for me tends to fluctuate. I think it's worse when my anxiety level is higher.

One thing that helps me is when I notice I'm more upset than I should be, if I stop for a moment to consider why I'm upset, I realize that I really don't care what soandso thinks of me or what they said. Once I make that connection, I can let it go.
_________________
Later,
Kimberly
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
League_Girl
Proud mamma
Phoenix


Joined: Feb 05, 2010
Posts: 16224
Location: My house

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and then I get over it after thinking about it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bee33
Blinded by the silence of 1000 broken hearts
Phoenix


Joined: Apr 20, 2008
Age: 50
Posts: 1249

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try not to jump to conclusions. You could make "he/she must be having a bad day" your default assumption.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jacs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus


Joined: Jun 25, 2010
Posts: 340
Location: The Wood between the Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bee33 wrote:
Try not to jump to conclusions. You could make "he/she must be having a bad day" your default assumption.


Yeah I do try but find it very hard to judge if its something I've done wrong or just then having a bad day. hate the thought of upseting people, which in turn upsets me and so on!

People can be vey confusing sometimes Confused
_________________
Dylexia, Dyspraxia, Anxiety, Depression and possible Aspergers ... that is all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bee33
Blinded by the silence of 1000 broken hearts
Phoenix


Joined: Apr 20, 2008
Age: 50
Posts: 1249

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacs wrote:
bee33 wrote:
Try not to jump to conclusions. You could make "he/she must be having a bad day" your default assumption.


Yeah I do try but find it very hard to judge if its something I've done wrong or just then having a bad day. hate the thought of upseting people, which in turn upsets me and so on!

People can be vey confusing sometimes Confused

Can you try to develop a thicker skin? People are usually upset for reasons that have nothing to do with you. Even if you did something to annoy them, the rational person would not respond by becoming angry. If they do become angry it's because of something having to do with them, like a bad day, or some people are just easy to anger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jacs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus


Joined: Jun 25, 2010
Posts: 340
Location: The Wood between the Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bee33 wrote:
Jacs wrote:
bee33 wrote:
Try not to jump to conclusions. You could make "he/she must be having a bad day" your default assumption.


Yeah I do try but find it very hard to judge if its something I've done wrong or just then having a bad day. hate the thought of upseting people, which in turn upsets me and so on!

People can be vey confusing sometimes Confused

Can you try to develop a thicker skin? People are usually upset for reasons that have nothing to do with you. Even if you did something to annoy them, the rational person would not respond by becoming angry. If they do become angry it's because of something having to do with them, like a bad day, or some people are just easy to anger.


I have tried but I'm a very sencetive person and hardly any social life. So when I do interactive with people may be I take there commnets, angery etc more lierally than I should.

My patrents are allways telling me that most of life is grey but I seem tp to only able to think in black and white.
_________________
Dylexia, Dyspraxia, Anxiety, Depression and possible Aspergers ... that is all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bee33
Blinded by the silence of 1000 broken hearts
Phoenix


Joined: Apr 20, 2008
Age: 50
Posts: 1249

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacs wrote:

I have tried but I'm a very sencetive person and hardly any social life. So when I do interactive with people may be I take there commnets, angery etc more lierally than I should.

My patrents are allways telling me that most of life is grey but I seem tp to only able to think in black and white.

I tend to think in black and white too, but my black and white thinking on this is that if someone is angry at me, it's their problem, not mine. Not that I don't get upset when someone seems to be angry at me, I certainly do, but I try not to personalize other people's neuroses,that is I try not to make them about me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zeldapsychology
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: May 05, 2008
Age: 28
Posts: 3320
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ME! I am very sensitive as well. I have this issue more so with my dad's harsh tone than my mom/sister's tone. The smallest thing from him sets me off on bad days (Where I'm very emotional usually this is for when I got little sleep). This weekend has been good though I've made mistakes and upset people and OMG! not cared! A rarity for me!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Simonono
Bug
Phoenix


Joined: Oct 26, 2010
Age: 21
Posts: 3299

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my hugest problems. If someone talks to me in even a slightly firm tone then I think they're going to bite my head off.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
analyser23
Velociraptor
Velociraptor


Joined: Jan 21, 2011
Posts: 454

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am like this also. And in the heat of the moment, although my brain tries to tell me rational things, I find my emotions just take over me and wash out all rational thought. I think I have a larger than average amygdala, and my brain struggles to "turn off" emotions, and is particularly sensitive to any slight hint at a threat (i.e. someone talking in a cross voice). It's like the emotion floods my entire body and bounces around and around inside and I struggle to find a way to disperse it. It's not until hours later that I can see reason again.
_________________
"Reality is an illusion of the construct of our brains"
"They cannot take away our Self Respect if we do not give it to them" - Gandhi
http://www.facebook.com/TheAspieCoach (Life Coaching for Aspies)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
OJani
a brat
Phoenix


Joined: Feb 24, 2011
Age: 41
Posts: 2498
Location: Budapest, Hungary, Europe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a tendency to feel upset about cross voice or overly critical words. I guess I always felt upset about these. When someone tells me something that implies I did something wrong, and he/she does it by giving the appropiate length to his/her speach, trying to remove or attenuate the edges from it, and/or gives a reasonable explanation, I have no complaints, no extra emotions. Humor or passivity can help me out. When I know a person well, and this person has good intentions, I can accept harder words. Otherwise people dashing off words the above manner are definitely on the way to hurt my feelings. Sometimes I fight back and make excuse later, sometimes I "swallow". When I'm lucky I soon forget about it but not always. There remains a thorn for a while that I have to cope with, depending on the person.
_________________
Another non-English speaking - DX'd at age 38
"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam." (Hannibal) - Latin for "I'll either find a way or make one."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruveyn
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Sep 22, 2008
Age: 78
Posts: 31501
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking things to personally/literally Reply with quote

Jacs wrote:


I guess itís an example of my very black and white thinking but to me if someone talks to me in a cross voice then they are cross with me and I have a right to be upset if I've done nothing wrong!



Perhaps it only -seems- cross. Could you not be mistaken?

ruveyn
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> General Autism Discussion   

 
Read more Articles on Wrong Planet



Wrong Planet is a Registered Trademark.
Copyright 2004-2014, Wrong Planet, LLC and Alex Plank. Alex does public speaking for Autism.

Advertise on Wrong Planet

Alex Hotchalk / Glam 

Alex Plank  Aspie Affection 

Terms of Service - You must read this as a user of Wrong Planet | Privacy Policy

Subscribe: RSS Feed  Wrong Planet News  Wrong Planet Forums




fine art